Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Easy Bar Plans???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Easy Bar Plans???

Looking to make a simple dry bar for my mancave. Don't have the expertise to run plumbing, so I'd like something simple that I can move if need be.

I don't have much experience wood working, but do have access to power tools.

I've checked out the www.barplan.com site, and although they look great, how easy are they to follow?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Just start nailing a frame together. Once you get it finished, you'll know how to build it right next time

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
elproducto
Recipes 

Haha, my problem is I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't want to waste a whole bunch of lumber!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wood (pun intended) search the internet and possibly the local library. Check this site:

http://http://www.precision-images.com/

They charge $24.99 for 12 of their plans, but I don't know how much 1 would be. They can tell you about "dry" sinks, etc. Whatever you do, go with a good, detailed plan. It will take the frustration out of it and you will end up with a project that you are proud of and that gets compliments. And, who knows you might like woodworking well enough to get into another "cheap" hobby. Luck - Dwain

Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
elproducto
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I wood (pun intended) search the internet and possibly the local library. Check this site:

http://http://www.precision-images.com/

They charge $24.99 for 12 of their plans, but I don't know how much 1 would be. They can tell you about "dry" sinks, etc. Whatever you do, go with a good, detailed plan. It will take the frustration out of it and you will end up with a project that you are proud of and that gets compliments. And, who knows you might like woodworking well enough to get into another "cheap" hobby. Luck - Dwain
Thanks, any experience with these?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Go artsy and use junk..

Get a couple full sized wine barrels (or even three of them), and line them up in a row..

Find a suitable countertop and place it on top... Find two or three old padded barstools.. Nice bar man!

If you were to go and find yourself a chunk of gnarled redwood, take it to the local shop and have it planed or drum sanded, then bring it home and cover it in epoxy or polyurethane.. You'd have a sweet looking counter top to go with the look.. You might even be able to find one ready to go at a yard sale.. They use them for coffee tables all the time...

Just an idea to consider...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not with this specific company, they just seem to have several options to look at. When I was doing a lot of woodworking, I used Woodsmith. Some of their stuff is pretty advanced though. That's why I would check the library, maybe save a couple of bucks. Still, Google "dry bar" and get some ideas. Then when you look around you'll have an idea of what you want. - Dwain

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
r8rphan
Recipes 

Another easy but artsy countertop could be made from a couple lengths of 2x8 or 2x10 fir (an old scaffolding plank would work great) held together by nailing two or three 1x3 stickers perpendicular underneath...

Then take the think out in your yard and use a 15 dollar propane torch to burn the crap out of the surface and edges of the thing..

Next get yourself a 5 dollar wire brush and scrape it thoroughly along the grain, to remove the burnt softwood...

Cover it in polyurethane and set it on the wine barrels...

If you want to be able to move it around as one piece.. just have a piece of plywood cut at your local home center barely big enough to set the wine barrels on, and attach 4 cheap casters from harbor freight underneath...

Dang, I may have just talked myself into building on of these for out on the deck....

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
r8rphan
Recipes 

Google Image Search for bar made with wine barrels

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
hawkeyed
Recipes 

From my experience - bought from all three sites: Precision-images 12 plans are nearly all the exact same design, just left/right hand variations & very basic. The Easy Home Bar Plans site also gives you access to thousands of photos of bars in various stages of construction, and that really does help! Oh and P-I charges you something like $39 for a custom bar design option, whereas it's included for free at barplan.com

To answer the initial question...Yes, they (barplan.com) are very easy to build, hence the name. P-I is very complicated and requires dados & fancy woodworking techniques. Bar-gear is complete trash, says it's also easy but it's low quality plans also require dado cuts and other advanced skills...they actually recommend in their plans that you farm out the advanced work to a pro shop. LOL!

Quick Reply