Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Draft tower cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
gwccbc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Draft tower cooling

A lot of folks have been spending a lot of time and effort to cool their towers to keep from getting foaming beer. The simplest solution that I have found is a 2 line aquarium air pump that I sit on the bottom of my kegerator, run the ac line out to an outlet, and connect 2 small airlines that reach all the way to the top of my draft tower. Very simple and it works great. It just pumps cold air up to the top of the tower!!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I didn't like the idea of having to drill another hole out of the fridge or having another plug to have to deal with, so I got a 110v muffin fan from Radio Shack and mounted it in a project box. The fan is hooked up to the power supply for the fridge light (no real use for that anymore anyway) and some 1" tubing directs the air up into my tower.

I still get some very minor extra foaming on the first pour, but my tower is cold to the touch at all times even though it's insulated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
phatfire6
Recipes 

Pics? I'm a visual learner

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwccbc View Post
A lot of folks have been spending a lot of time and effort to cool their towers to keep from getting foaming beer. The simplest solution that I have found is a 2 line aquarium air pump that I sit on the bottom of my kegerator, run the ac line out to an outlet, and connect 2 small airlines that reach all the way to the top of my draft tower. Very simple and it works great. It just pumps cold air up to the top of the tower!!
That's a great idea! I have a pass through tower that needs cooling. I currently have a little muffin fan that pushes air through it, but it works better for the faucets on the side the fan's mounted to. My clearances are also so tight that the fan makes it hard situate things so that the lid closes properly after changing kegs. I think I might give this a try, since the cooling would be more even, and I could mount it out of the way.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
gwccbc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are some pics. I have the pump laying on its side, then the 2 airlines are tied to the beer lines, and the last pic if you can see it is where the airlines end at the top of the tower.

photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
britebeer
Recipes 

Have you measured the temp inside the draft tower since doing this? This would be ideal for me if the temp drops enough.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Phyrst
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Seems like it would be less efficient to me. When you compress a gas it gets warmer, so it's not as efficient as a fan. And now you're adding a heat source (the heat given off by the pump) that makes your freezer work harder.

I'm sure it works fine and it's easier to install. Just not as efficient as a fan.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
gwccbc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not measured the temp inside the tower. Dont get bogged down with topics such as inefficiencies. All I know is that it is simple, and it works. The heat that it gives off is a non-issue. Just try it!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I use a 13-14" peice of 1/2" copper tubing. It fits perfectly in the tower and I run my beer line through it. It extends about 2" into the refridgerator compartment, which cools it to temperature and keeps the line cool up into the tower. Works great and is simple. I only have a single tap kegerator but there would be enough room for two if I had a double tap.

Quick Reply