Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > DIY Picnic "Stout" tap - concept

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default DIY Picnic "Stout" tap - concept

Just in the “concept/ideas” phase at the moment (would also need to brew a stout to really test anyway)
So at the moment my keezer is leaving a lot to be desired, as it is still just an old chest freezer. This build will be a slow and steady one; temp control first w/ picnic taps, then build a collar (no taps though), then finally finished it off with some nice taps (Perlicks of coarse).

So the first stage is closing in and I was thinking about trying to make a cheap DIY picnic stout tap. Basically want some info about the normal stout taps/systems so I can go from there.
As I have read the “stout” pour is achieved from;
Low carb level in the beer (what volume are we talking about, 1.5-2? Is the style guidelines correct for poured through a stout faucet?),
and pouring it through a stout faucet which has a restrictor plate (basically a small hole – diameter please?).
With the restrictor plate generally means a big pressure drop through the tap, i.e. need to run the keg at 25-35 psi and therefore needing beer gas to avoid overcarbing. A question is, are people also running the usual 5-10’ of 3/16” line to there faucets (with the associated approx pressure drop of 12 psi)?

Ok now those questions are out of the way, the concept.
QD -> picnic tap with as short a length of ¼” hose as practical = approx 0 psi drop.
Run the keezer a bit warmer than normal = higher psi for given volumes + closer to normal stout serving temp (without being to high for the other styles in the keezer)
Now the actual tap - A short 2” section of bottling wand, plug the end somehow (epoxy?) then drill through the right diameter restrictor hole, Push this (restrictor first) into the end of a picnic tap = DIY picnic “stout” tap. The reason for the 2” piece would be to allow the stout to “stay together” after the restrictor instead of just spraying all over the place.
If I get time tonight I might try something out (with a light bodied ale which might not go down so well but at least it will be something)

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions/links to someone who has already done this are, as always, very much appreciated.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
mattd2
Recipes 

so 233 views and no replies...
I have read a bit more, found a few threads with a simular idea but noone actually tried. And the method of cranking up the CO2 PSI for the pour and then bleeding back down.
What info I did find was someone was using beer gas with 15' of 3/16" line, don't know if that is the correct way to set up a stout faucet but gives me hopes that the 1' of 1/4" might get me in the range of carbing with just CO2.
Really want to know the orifice diameter, but if knowone has that info I'll just start at something like 1mm and go up in 0.5mm steps till it seems right (or someone tells me better)
Cheers for reading my ramblings at least

Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Somebody has to be first. That automatically makes you the expert
assuming it works out.

If it doesn't, then you can tell people it's a bad idea.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
rodd
Recipes 

I don't know what the right diameter would be for this setup, but the restrictor plate on my stout faucet has 5 holes that are less than 1mm. They are like little pin holes.

Taking BYOB to a whole new level

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodd View Post
I don't know what the right diameter would be for this setup, but the restrictor plate on my stout faucet has 5 holes that are less than 1mm. They are like little pin holes.
Thanks, that is exactly the info I need!
Yeah I hope this doesn't end in a spectacular failure - although it would still be fun!
Cheers

Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

So, I gave something a shot.
Short bit of 3/16" (about 6") to a picnic tap. A short bit of 8(?)mm hose (2") on the spout. Then I just cracked the picnic tap to "imitate" the stout tap restritor plate. The result was actually quite good, enough that I am pretty confident that this very well could work

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Next is a "how-to" pictorial and you'll be immortalized

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another option here would be to snip the pin in the keg disconnect a bit shorter. Doing so will make the outlet in the keg smaller, and when using high pressure, it will be mimicking a stout faucet.

I found this out by accident, after one of my disconnects had a bent pin when I bought it. Over time, it broke off, and the rest is history.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasickboy View Post
Another option here would be to snip the pin in the keg disconnect a bit shorter. Doing so will make the outlet in the keg smaller, and when using high pressure, it will be mimicking a stout faucet.

I found this out by accident, after one of my disconnects had a bent pin when I bought it. Over time, it broke off, and the rest is history.
Nice find, did you keep the line length the same as usual?
I was testing this out on a SMaSH of pale and sticklebract and even though the serving style didn't match the beer style at all it was still very enjoyable (mostly because of the proof of concept ). Can't wait to have an actual stout/porter through the next prototype. So much so I might buy a Coopers prehopped "stout" extract to speed things up getting one on tap

Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't play with different line lengths, but that surely doesn't mean I won't try it in the future, now.

Quick Reply