Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > DIY Keg Party Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Chello
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default DIY Keg Party Pump

I'm a new kegger and am planning a weekend away to visit some friends. I wanted to take some homebrew to enjoy for the weekend with them without having to bottle everything.

So this basically just replaces a portable co2 keg charger. My setup is just a bicycle tire pump booked up to the barbed end of a barbed gas in keg connection. Flawless.

Now i am a avid biker so i have a pretty good floor bike pump that holds a good seal using the schreader valve side (not the newer presta valve).

I realize its just pumping in outside air into the keg which is "bad for the beer", but its the same thing used on commercial kegs at a normal college keg party. I see it being used as only in situation where your going to be finishing the keg, hopefully, that night! So carb up like normal and grab your bike pump to fill the glasses.

This saves me the money from having to buy the 12/16gram co2 charger and cartridges.

I can see easy adaptations for this, like buying a cheap foot pump (or looking in your basement) and it may fit, or just snipping off the tip and using a screwclamp to attach to the barb, etc.

So just putting it out there for others.

"Retail is for suckers."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I've thought about it. I even have a spare footpump with a pressure gage. Seems like someone always bring a CO2 tank to events, so I haven't bothered.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would rather just bring a 5# CO2 tank and reg. It takes up just a little more space then the bike pump and if the beer is not gone at the end of the night, it's still good the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
howlinowl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I''ve got one of those lawn fertilizer/bug spray tanks that you get at home depot. cut the end off and adapted it so I can screw it onto my beerlines to clean them. I always thought that It'd work as an air pump in a pinch..... just don't put cleaner into it and adapt it so I can attach it to the gas in side of the keg. The situation hasn't come up where I've had to bring a keg anywhere, so I haven't tried it.

Allan

Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty

On Deck:

On Tap 1: Yuengling Traditional Lager
On Tap 2: Kayumanggi Ale (pronounced "Kai-you-mang-ghe) Tagalog for "Brown"
Various bottles and cans: San Miguel Premium Lager, Flying Dog Mix Pack, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I also tried it with a portable pump that i keep in my Camelback for emergencies and it works like a champ too. That one is like 8 inches long!

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
mattreba
Recipes 

Any chance of lubricating oil making it into your beer? I don't think a tire would mind but I think it would be less than ideal for the beer.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There is a risk if you don't finish the whole keg. If you don't mind writing off the entire keg, go ahead and use air. I know I'd be pissed if I was left with 2 gallons unfinished. I'd have to personally drink it all on the spot. The 12 gram carts are like 50 cents and you only need a couple to dispense the keg.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply