Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > DIY Cooler leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Klereue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY Cooler leaking

Hey guys, I just built myself a mash tun out of a cooler, but where the drain fitting goes through the wall, there is a small leak. Can I use JB weld or some sort of caulk to seal it up? Or is that stuff bad to be inside the mash tun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1452 Times on 1177 Posts

How about a bit more information? Like, what make/model cooler, what kind of bulkhead, maybe even a picture of your setup. I doubt there's much under the sun MLT-wise that hasn't been made to work by someone here that can help straighten your kit out for you...

Cheers!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Klereue
Recipes 

It's a Rubbermaid 48 Qt, It did not have a drain on it so I had to drill through it. I'm at work now so I can't get a picture, I put 2" threaded Brass pipe through the wall. A stainless threaded tube with the rubber insides taken out is screwed onto the inside of the pipe and a 1/2" brass ball valve threaded onto the outside. I found some info of other people using JB Weld in coffee makers and other brewing supplies, so I went ahead and sealed the inside with that. Once that dries I'm gonna use my dremmel to smooth it out so there aren't any rough surfaces.

Quick Reply