Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Did I just ruin a fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Trouble-Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did I just ruin a fridge?

So I was pulling apart a SANYO 4433 to use the guts to make a bigger fermentation chamber/kegerator and right before I got it all out I bent and cracked a coolant line. Am I screwed and out a fridge or is there a way to fix it? I was reading a thread on here that someone mentioned you could fix it with stuff from Home Depot or Lowes but never explained it, is that true? If so what all do I need? Everything else I am reading is telling me I am **** out of luck, any help would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble-Brewing View Post
So I was pulling apart a SANYO 4433 to use the guts to make a bigger fermentation chamber/kegerator and right before I got it all out I bent and cracked a coolant line. Am I screwed and out a fridge?
Short answer... yes.

Long answer...

It's fixable, but more expensive than just getting another fridge.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Finster
Recipes 

I dont know a whole lot about refrigeration systems, but if its the tubing itself that cracked, I would think you'd be able to braze it. Or even splice it back together with a compression fitting. The system would have to be recharged though.

I read in one of Yuri's threads that he was able to recharge his kegorator using R134 he bought at wall mart. Maybe thats something to look into.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...70/index6.html

I know there are laws pertaining to the proper draining and recharging of refrigeration systems but if its broke and already drained, I dont see the harm in trying to repair it.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Bumbler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In short - the fridge is toast.

Option 1. Buy a new one.

Option 2. Call your local community college/tech inst. with a HVAC program. More than likely they will fix it for cost + a small charge. Definitely cheaper than buying a new one just to rip it apart again. They will do it right and get the proper refrigerant charge. When I was in school we did it all the time for the public. That's how we raised money for our activities.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
In short - the fridge is toast.

Option 1. Buy a new one.

Option 2. Call your local community college/tech inst. with a HVAC program. More than likely they will fix it for cost + a small charge. Definitely cheaper than buying a new one just to rip it apart again. They will do it right and get the proper refrigerant charge. When I was in school we did it all the time for the public. That's how we raised money for our activities.
Now THAT is a good idea! It would make the project more interesting for those guys too rather than just a regular fridge repair if the set up is half in place before they arrive.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So after doing a little more research and getting some stuff at walmart I am going to try to get it to work again. I figure $20 worth of stuff is worth a try and if it doesn't work then I will take it to the local community college. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the replys

Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I got it up and running again, I ended up pulling out most of the coolant lines and replacing them. I built a new housing out of some old plywood and some 1.5" styrofoam insulation. I just finished putting on a layer of 1/4 plywood on it to clean it up. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some stain on it and take some pictures for you guys. I still need to get some molding and shower board to finish it up but its getting there. I am pretty happy I didn't break it

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm interested in what you used to get this up and running again. I imaging doing something like this for myself in the future (the build, not the breaking), and would love to see some pics of the setup!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

I too am quite capable of breaking coolant lines in my freezer, which I am going to try and modify to accept a couple of buckets. Please pass on your experience so I have a plan when I break my freezer.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry the pictures really suck I will try to get some clearer ones soon. So you can actually see whats going on. Edit: New pictures added

To fix the fridge I got some R134a and a dispenser with a gauge from walmart. The dispenser came with a quick connector with a schrader valve. Then I got a brass fitting that threaded to the connector (think it was a flare fitting but I just took the to the size reference board and tested what size and type of threads fit, I will try to find the box) threaded it to the connector and brazed it to the fill tube, which is usually kinked shut.

I broke the condenser coils in a few spots so I replaced it with some new flexible copper of the same diameter and length. I just cut the tube close to the compressor and the expansion valve (the expansion valve is the cylinder shaped thing with cone ends) and brazed in the new section.

I ran the evaporator coil, inside the new box and screwed it to the side. I might still throw a fan in there, I have to do some more tests after I get it all sealed up. Should hold 2 1/2 barrel kegs or 1 1/2 barrel and 2 cornys.

Quick Reply