cornstarch test on ge upright freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfieBrew

Reaction score
To start, I am new to brewing and kegging. I completed my first full boil extract brew last Saturday and I am in the process of designing my kegerator. I have a Model FUF14SURWW GE® 13.7 Cu. Ft. Frost-Free Upright Freezer and I need to bring 1 to 3 faucets through the right side of the freezer wall. I have received many different answers about the possible paths of the condenser lines in the freezer. My first question is regarding the cornstarch test. Since my freezer is stark white, can i add anything to the mixture to set it apart in color? Also to be certain, it is the outside of the freezer that I will be applying the cornstarch mixture? Here are a few pictures of the freezer:

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

Features and Benefits
• 13.7 cu. ft. Capacity
• Frost-Free
• 3 Cabinet Shelves
• 5 Freezer Door Shelves
• Lock
• Interior Light
• Adjustable Temperature Control

Will I still be able to use a conversion thermostat on the unit despite it being frost-free. In some posts, I read if it's frost-free, your golden because none of the condenser lines run through the shelving, however, I feel like when I was looking up thermostats, they all recommended manual defrost freezers.

I am looking for all of the pointers I can get.

Thanks,
Chris

I've never done the starch thing, but I thought it only worked if the surface you were testing was parallel to the ground. Meaning, you can't do it on the side of the freezer.

I might be wrong on that, though.

Your pics aren't showing up. You could use some food coloring to darken the cornstarch mixture as it's water soluble and shouldn't cause any permanent stains. There's no reason why it won't work on a vertical surface. Just mix it on the thick side. Beware that there may two sets of coils. One set on the outside for the condenser coils and the other the evaporator coils on the inside. The evaporator coils will be more difficult to locate and I'm not sure what method you would use to do so. You mentioned that this is an upright freezer. Often the uprights will have the evaporator coils attached to the shelving inside. This should be obvious if you look closely at the shelves. Sometimes the condenser coils are mounted on the rear of the unit. These should also be very obvious. If you see neither the coils on the shelves or coils on the back side, then both are in the freezer walls. If both are in the walls, they also may not be in the same pattern, so locating one set may not tell you where the other set is. Be careful as this is generally a rather unforgiving operation. One slip up could doom the freezer to the scrap heap.

Sometimes the schematic on the back will tell you where the lines run. I know on my fridge it was clear from the diagram that there were no lines running through the side I was tapping.

Now the pics are showing. It appears that you are in luck. At least partially so anyway. I see what looks to be the evaporator coils contained in that compartment in the back at the bottom. The giveaway is attached perforated floor. You should be able to remove the cover to verify their location. That leaves only the condenser coils to locate. If these are not mounted externally on the back, then they are almost certainly in the outer walls on the sides and possibly also in the rear. Locating only one set of coils will make it much easier.

Thank you so much for the information thus far. I got some cornstarch and I am going to attempt to locate the condenser coils on the side of the freezer. I can confirm that no coils are contained in the shelves.

ARE the walls warm?

For some reason I dont think you got refer lines in the walls. I real need more pics but that panel in the inside rear lower half, Looks like the whole enchilada with the comp below.

ARE the walls warm?

For some reason I dont think you got refer lines in the walls. I real need more pics but that panel in the inside rear lower half, Looks like the whole enchilada with the comp below.

The condenser coils cannot be located inside the freezer. They radiate heat and lots of it. No way they can be inside. The compressor isn't inside either as it also gets hot the panel doesn't appear thick enough to conceal one either. The condenser coils are either in the outer walls or mounted on the back.

Also, I made a mixture of vodka and cornstarch and brushed it on the outside panels in the top rear and side. How long will it take to show results?

Diagram of cabinet:
https://genet.geappliances.com/IPCN...ETPDF&file=00000000/00061200/00061218.p02.pdf

diagram of unit:
https://genet.geappliances.com/IPCN...ETPDF&file=00000000/00061200/00061218.p03.pdf

I was able to view these (2) diagrams but I don't know how to decipher the information I am looking for.

ANyone?

The second pic shows the evaporator coils behind the cover in the lower back of the freezer and the condenser coils mounted on the back. Assuming that is the correct diagram for this unit, there should be no coils at all in the walls either inside or outside. This, however, conflicts with the info page I posted that states that the condenser is of the wrap around type.

Look for the condenser coils on the back of the freezer. That's the snake like tubing and grill thingy attached to the back. If it's there you are good to go on drilling through the side walls.

The cornstarch should only take about 10-30 minutes to dry with the freezer running. Do the outer walls feel warm to the touch? They should be very warm.

Back