Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #491
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Making progress!

20120811_000002915.jpg   20120811_000002916.jpg   20120811_000002921.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #492
BryanJ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been covered, i searched for it and found a possible answer. The love temp controller is throwing the 'ep2' defrosting probe error. I have the probe connected to output 1 & 2 and have the probe type selected for ntc. Not sure what action to take to resolve the issue, any ideas?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #493
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I was thinking of making a kegerator out of a mini fridge but now I want to make a keezer. Can fit more kegs any way ; )

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #494
jaydubya
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
I'm not sure if this has been covered, i searched for it and found a possible answer. The love temp controller is throwing the 'ep2' defrosting probe error. I have the probe connected to output 1 & 2 and have the probe type selected for ntc. Not sure what action to take to resolve the issue, any ideas?
It depends on the model but generally you would set P4 to 1 and d2 to 0.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #495
jerryk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer
I made cleats from an 0.75" angle aluminum bar. The one large screw will go into the wood of the collar, while the smaller self-drilling screws will go into the plastic frame on the freezer body.
Quaffer thanks for starting this thread it has given me a lot of ideas. My question is in reference to the screws that go into the plastic frame. I was wondering how long they are? I am thinking 1/4 in or less because I do not want to end up with a hissing sound when I put them in. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #496
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
Quaffer thanks for starting this thread it has given me a lot of ideas. My question is in reference to the screws that go into the plastic frame. I was wondering how long they are? I am thinking 1/4 in or less because I do not want to end up with a hissing sound when I put them in. Thanks.
The shanks on those screws are 1/2" long, which is just barely long enough considering that they have to go through the aluminum profile before entering the plastic frame. That's why I decided to have two screws per bracket.

I discovered a video on YouTube by 4x4jeep74 who's building a keezer much like this one, based on the same Frigidaire freezer. He has come up with a way to locate and mark the locations of the refrigerant tubes so that he can drill holes through the front and attach the drip tray with sheet metal screws. Take a look at the six minute mark into the video. He has some other nice approaches to this build as well.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #497
jerryk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer

The shanks on those screws are 1/2" long, which is just barely long enough considering that they have to go through the aluminum profile before entering the plastic frame. That's why I decided to have two screws per bracket.

I discovered a video on YouTube by 4x4jeep74 who's building a keezer much like this one, based on the same Frigidaire freezer. He has come up with a way to locate and mark the locations of the refrigerant tubes so that he can drill holes through the front and attach the drip tray with sheet metal screws. Take a look at the six minute mark into the video. He has some other nice approaches to this build as well.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO5GqeA4sCc
Thanks Quaffer I will give it a try. So I am guessing but the refrigerant lines must be steel in the walls of the freezer.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #498
jaydubya
Recipes 

Thanks Quaffer, you inspired me! Thanks for everything in this thread. Here is the finished unit.

I also mounted a controller in the space of the old one using a wall plate. This way there are no live connections in the freezer itself.

The whole write-up and pictures are here on my blog: http://ageekdad.com/2012/10/18/pouri...home-in-style/

-Jason

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #499
RCBW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Finished Product

Thanks Quaffer and everyone else!

http://s687.beta.photobucket.com/use...geratorhttp://

Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #500
mrstevenund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

RCBW - Those are some awesome tap handles. Where did you get them?

Thanks to all the great ideas from everyone. I recently recieved 2 cornies for by birthday and currently don't have a place to keep them cold. So I just got permission from SWMBO to start looking into a keezer. She wants a taps on top of the lid rather than a 2x8 collar. She feels the collar makes it feel more like a beer truck style dispenser. Tap on top with the surface tiled is the current plan. Keep some chilled glasses and bottled beer on the hump.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply