Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #371
bourgeoisbee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, that will work fine. I did the same while I was making the collar on my set up. The gasket thing on the lid seals it fine around such a small wire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #372
DariusFresh
Recipes 

Thanks! I guess my main concern was short cycling. You didn't have any troubles with that? I guess those temp controllers have a short cycle prevention system built in. This is what i'm using.
http://www.amazon.com/Invensys-ETC111000/dp/B003X01C7O

Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #373
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

I can't say for certain about the one you're using. I'm using a digital Johnson that has a programmable cycle interval that I can set - I have it set to the max of 12 minutes. That being said, I didn't notice it turning on that often while I had the probe wire set up like you're talking. Once you get the beer down to temp it will hold well. As long as you don't open and close the lid too often I wouldn't worry about it, especially since this isn't a long term set up.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #374
DariusFresh
Recipes 

I'm not sure if i can set the interval on that, but i'll try to find some documentation. I probably can. With having four kegs of beer in there, it's gonna be hard to not open and close the lid a lot.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #375
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

You can fit 4 kegs in there? I could only fit 3 in mine without the collar. I was going to say the more beer you have in there the more thermal mass they'll have to maintain temperature, but you seem to already have that covered.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #376
DariusFresh
Recipes 

Ah, one of my kegs is a 2.5 gallon keg that I use for soda.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #377
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

Ah, that was my guess. Perfect!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #378
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgeoisbee
You can fit 4 kegs in there? I could only fit 3 in mine without the collar. I was going to say the more beer you have in there the more thermal mass they'll have to maintain temperature, but you seem to already have that covered.
Put one on the hump with the collar in place. Also, it's easier to fit the thinner pepsi style ball lock kegs vs the wider coke kegs

Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #379
Thehopguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't read through all these pages, just looked at the first with the pictures.

But damn I just wanted to say that is one beautiful looking modded freezer. You should advertise on craigslist or something and see if people nearby want one converted by you for a charge. That is if you wanted to pick up extra projects like that, maybe not.

When I have the space for more freezers and switch to kegging beer I'll be looking at this thread for my inspiration. Thanks for sharing

Old 07-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #380
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehopguy View Post
I didn't read through all these pages, just looked at the first with the pictures.

But damn I just wanted to say that is one beautiful looking modded freezer. You should advertise on craigslist or something and see if people nearby want one converted by you for a charge. That is if you wanted to pick up extra projects like that, maybe not.

When I have the space for more freezers and switch to kegging beer I'll be looking at this thread for my inspiration. Thanks for sharing
Thanks. I am bogged down with projects as it is so I can't possibly add any more. Besides I think most people want to attempt their own conversion since this project is not too difficult to pull off. Building the collar is perhaps the trickiest part, but it can be tailored to fit the tools and skills of most prospective DIYers.

Post pictures of yours when you get underway.
Cheers

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply