Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #291
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I have a Johnson A419 and several of the analogs. I also have a Love controller. It's still in the box, but I've read the instructions and manual, so I'm familiar with the settings. There are a number of parameters for the Love controller that can delay cycling, but they can all be set to zero as well.

The Love controller is designed to operate any heating or cooling device up to a 16 amp draw according to the specs. The point being that they are designed for smaller units, not larger industrial equipment.

I'm still not buying the thing about delayed start requirements. Can you point me to the regulation you are referring to. You know, document your claim so to speak? I didn't think so.
If your Love controller works like mine, and I think it will, you will find that the minimum off time is set to zero by default, yet there is a power-on delay of a few minutes. The power-on delay is not mentioned in the manual, nor can it be adjusted.

Larger industrial units are often controlled by contactors which are easily driven by the modest relay in the controller.

If there is a requirement for power-on delay, and there still might be, it would be one set forth by power companies or industrial groups, not the government. I will get back to you on this because all I have right now is from memory.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #292
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
A 2x8 on edge stands so tall that the blade does not quite make it halfway through the width of the board. The top of the board is therefore "safe" to hold on to. As long as the board goes straight through there is no problem, but it is difficult to correct for misalignments. The blade binds easily. I do confess being more than a little nervous doing this though. Now that I think of it, I don't recommend people doing this.
Okay ... I take back my comment and probably owe you an apology ... I didn't realize that you probably have one of these really cool tall rip fences

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/05..._campaign=4762

Old 05-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #293
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
If your Love controller works like mine, and I think it will, you will find that the minimum off time is set to zero by default, yet there is a power-on delay of a few minutes. The power-on delay is not mentioned in the manual, nor can it be adjusted.

Larger industrial units are often controlled by contactors which are easily driven by the modest relay in the controller.

If there is a requirement for power-on delay, and there still might be, it would be one set forth by power companies or industrial groups, not the government. I will get back to you on this because all I have right now is from memory.
1. I have a brand new Love TS-13010 controller and I just checked it out. There is no delay. All of the parameters (d2 thru c3), which could affect a delay have a default value of zero. Cut power to the controller several times over a period of 10 minutes or so. Nope...no delay at all. None of my other controllers have a delay either.

2. IIRC, this is still a semi-free country. I don't think the power companies have the authority to issue such a broad regulation to manufacturers. Either it's code or it's not. If it is a code type regulation, I would think that it could be located somewhere.. Industrial groups would likely automatically reject the idea on the basis that it lacks flexibility.

3. Yes, small relays can be set up to operate larger relays. No surprise there. These controllers are nothing more than digital thermostats with a built in relay that handles line voltage. Some have more features than others, but they are still just simple digital temperature switches.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #294
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I posted this at #290, "So what are you guys doing to cover up the back of the controller? the wires are still exposed so I need to do something to at least splash proof it."

Is this even a concern?

So after running my keezer for a few days I noticed that if i have my temp set to 40 degrees the controller reads 35. Is there anyway to correct this? Quaffer, i followed your programming guide to a tee.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #295
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just wrapped the part of the controller inside the kegerator with electrical tape.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #296
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I posted this at #290, "So what are you guys doing to cover up the back of the controller? the wires are still exposed so I need to do something to at least splash proof it."

Is this even a concern?

So after running my keezer for a few days I noticed that if i have my temp set to 40 degrees the controller reads 35. Is there anyway to correct this? Quaffer, i followed your programming guide to a tee.
1. The Love controllers are designed to be mounted in a panel or some other enclosure. This is not absolutely necessary. The terminals are somewhat covered by a plastic cap on the back, but it won't be moisture proof. Some tape should offer some protection, but I would find some way to cover the back with a box of some kind if going through a collar. It's not a big deal really.

2. The probed temperature reading will often be considerably lower than the set point. I think this is because the freezer cools off faster than it warms back up, so it spends more time at the lower end of the differential range. I have mine set at 44*F right now and the beer is at about 38*F, +/- 1*F, so that's about 6* lower than the set point. This is running with a 10* differential and the probe in the air. Separate thermometer measures the actual beer temp.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #297
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So you don't put your probe in a glass of water?

What exactly does the differential do?

I was actually thinking about finding a water proof electrical box and mounting it to the back of the control to protect it against possible splashes etc...

Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #298
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
So you don't put your probe in a glass of water?

What exactly does the differential do?

I was actually thinking about finding a water proof electrical box and mounting it to the back of the control to protect it against possible splashes etc...
Nope, I have a muffin fan running continuously in the freezer and the probe is in the air stream of the fan. Others report good results with the probe in a container of water, but I've never had good results doing it that way.

The differential is the span in degrees for the on/off of the power relay. Typically when in a cooling mode, the compressor will come on when the probe temp reaches the set point + the differential setting. It will shut off when it reaches the set point. Some digital controllers allow you choose between set point + or set point - the differential. I currently have mine set up to come on at the set point and cool to set point - 10*F. I've been experimenting with wider and wider differentials to see how much it affects the beer temp. The changeable parameters differ with various controllers. I have several Johnson analogs that have a fixed differential and no other adjustable parameters other than the heating or cooling option. They work well even though they lack a lot of flexibility.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #299
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So to test the temp of your beer, do you just pour a glass and measure it right away?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #300
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
So to test the temp of your beer, do you just pour a glass and measure it right away?
I do that and I also have a wireless thermometer with the probe inside the keg. I just put the transmitter inside a ziplock bag, sanitize it and float it on top of the beer. The poured beer will typically be several degrees warmer in the glass than it is in the keg. I suppose the lines, shanks, taps and the glass itself warm up the beer some right away as it is poured.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply