Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #261
fckwalm
Pour me another beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fckwalm's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Parkland, Florida
Posts: 55
Default

I was just curious on one part of this.... I read that you said ""The boards are Western Hemlock 2x8, thinned down to 1.25" thickness on a table saw."", how were you able to thin them down on a table saw? .. that just seems like it would be quite difficult if even possible.

__________________
fckwalm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #262
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 832
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I didn't read the whole thread to forgive me but I have a few questions about the controller.

-Does the controller come with all the wires you need to hook it up or do you have to buy a extension cord, cut off the ends, and use the 3 wires inside it? If so, what gauge wire is it?

-I am going to add the fan at a later date, how would that change your wiring diagram?

-Your wiring diagram says the fan is hooked up to a 6VDC supply, do you have spec's on it and where you got it?

__________________
pola0502ds is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #263
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 488
Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckwalm View Post
I was just curious on one part of this.... I read that you said ""The boards are Western Hemlock 2x8, thinned down to 1.25" thickness on a table saw."", how were you able to thin them down on a table saw? .. that just seems like it would be quite difficult if even possible.
I pushed the 2x8 boards through with the 2" side down to the table, 8" side against the fence. The blade cuts through about half of the board so it has to be flipped over to do the other side.
__________________

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quaffer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #264
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 488
Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I didn't read the whole thread to forgive me but I have a few questions about the controller.

-Does the controller come with all the wires you need to hook it up or do you have to buy a extension cord, cut off the ends, and use the 3 wires inside it? If so, what gauge wire is it?
I bought 3-conductor rubber cable by the foot at Home Depot. I used 16 gauge wire, but a lot of people will tell you that you should use at least 14 gauge wire if you plug into a standard 15A outlet. 16 gauge works fine for me.

Quote:
-I am going to add the fan at a later date, how would that change your wiring diagram?
Just omit the fan and the 6V power supply.

Quote:
-Your wiring diagram says the fan is hooked up to a 6VDC supply, do you have spec's on it and where you got it?
I had several such power supplies, all from old cell phones and other obsolete electronics. After trying several, I found that a 6V supply (7.7V actual) made the fan run quiet yet with a good breeze. We don't need a tempest in there; just gently shuffle the air around. All power that you send to the fan will have to be removed by the compressor, so I'd keep the fan slow and quiet.
__________________

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quaffer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #265
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 832
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
I pushed the 2x8 boards through with the 2" side down to the table, 8" side against the fence. The blade cuts through about half of the board so it has to be flipped over to do the other side.
I do wood working all the time, your a very brave man!
__________________
pola0502ds is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #266
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 832
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I went to ebay and all I can find are 6vdc power supplies that plug into a wall..

__________________
pola0502ds is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #267
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 488
Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I do wood working all the time, your a very brave man!
Brave of foolhardy, I don't know which. All fingers still attached.
__________________

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quaffer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #268
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 488
Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I went to ebay and all I can find are 6vdc power supplies that plug into a wall..
Yes, that's it. I soldered wires to the prongs, taped it up, and then attached the supply on its back to the frame. The wires can then be connected to neutral and compressor power with wire nuts for example. I think I actually soldered the neutral splice because the wires were short.
__________________

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quaffer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #269
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
2puttbird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 113
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Brave of foolhardy, I don't know which. All fingers still attached.
I've heard of "planing' boards on a band saw ... never on a table saw ... you must have some very skinny push sticks!
__________________
2puttbird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #270
hoplover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vallejo, CA
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
what exactly are you talking about?
my temp controller has settings for the temperature and temperature differential (how far you let the temperature get from your set temp before it kicks on) I was wondering if anyone is using this type, what settings there using
__________________
hoplover is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frigidaire 9 cu. ft. chest freezer? Brewpatrol Bottling/Kegging 8 05-25-2011 01:28 PM
Frigidaire 7.2 Chest Freezer..... Collar Size? HOP-HEAD Bottling/Kegging 17 02-11-2011 04:11 AM
Frigidaire 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer bmellis Bottling/Kegging 5 09-27-2010 01:40 AM
Frigidaire 7.0 CF Chest Freezer? Cpt_Kirks Bottling/Kegging 3 10-16-2008 08:27 PM
Frigidaire 5.0 cf chest freezer? jmulligan Bottling/Kegging 2 09-25-2008 04:40 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS