Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Chest freezer to kegerator newbie questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
adamd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest freezer to kegerator newbie questions

What I am looking for is to convert a chest freezer to a kegerator. I'd like 5 taps so ideally at least room for 5 cornys, but hopefully more. One that I am looking at has dimensions of 48" x 34" x 22''

First my question is this enough size for what I want(warned you they are newb questions)?

Secondly, do any of you have a method of reconditioning the outside of these things as it looks like its in poor shape.

Lastly, the dimensions are 48(Length?) 34(?) 22(?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
williec30
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

there is a thread here somewhere that i used to figure out this exact thing; a template you can print out and lay the circles out in the freezer to get an idea... i wasn't able to find it in my quick search, maybe someone can help you there.

on the exterior reconditioning... there are a ton of things you could do, check out this thread for ideas.

my brewblog

Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

cornies are 9" in diameter, read this thread (it's a sticky)
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/

Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
williec30
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavanza View Post
cornies are 9" in diameter, read this thread (it's a sticky)
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/
thanks bd...

my brewblog

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

As far as reconditioning the outside, it depends on what look you're going for. There are a ton of products for painting metal, especially from Rustoleum. Here's just a little info on painting metal:

1. Depending on the current condition of the fridge, you may need to do some sanding/grinding to get areas of heavy rust down a bit. After that, you should probably use a rusty metal primer, which will prevent the rust spots from coming through the paint. If you don't have issues with rust and the surface is in pretty decent shape, just use your topcoat paint without a primer.
2. If you're looking to keep it white, I would suggest an appliance paint. It's made by Rustoleum and it's probably the best choice for adhering to smooth finishes (typical for refrigerators, stoves an other appliances).
3. You could use a chalkboard paint on the top (or the whole thing) so you can write what's on tap. I believe a quart runs about $10 and it's also made by Rustoleum. They even sell tintable chalkboard paint.

If you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot you'll find a lot of different options. Just choose what works for you.

• Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Quick Reply