Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Chest Freezer to Keezer Conversion: MikeE's DIY build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #41
VaBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sweet! I like the fan setup, that's one thing I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #42
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great post of your build. Your collar is well made and put together.That keezer will give you years of enjoyment. Your unique build style will inspire others.....love the pics with descriptions. A gutter extender for your fan, great idea, nice way to save a few bucks.

That tap handle is sick, saw that on ebay last night. How long is that tap handle anyways. Consider getting a tap lock so you don't open the tap accidentally when removing or adding kegs to keezer. I have opened the tap a few times and spilled all over- beer foul!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #43
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hmmm ... just had me some MH#9 tonight at the local pub ... pretty good stuff ... oh yeah, nice build also

If you're not having fun, lower your standards ...

My keezer build thread --> Mid-Missouri freezer conversion

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #44
BrewBeer4fun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tap Handle Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
Great post of your build. Your collar is well made and put together.That keezer will give you years of enjoyment. Your unique build style will inspire others.....love the pics with descriptions. A gutter extender for your fan, great idea, nice way to save a few bucks.

That tap handle is sick, saw that on ebay last night. How long is that tap handle anyways. Consider getting a tap lock so you don't open the tap accidentally when removing or adding kegs to keezer. I have opened the tap a few times and spilled all over- beer foul!
The MH#9 tap handle is 14 & 1/4" from end to end. I definitely need tap locks. I can see that now. Certainly can't have any beer fouls or sticky messes on my floor or even in my drip tray.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Easy,

I noticed that you mentioned securing the aluminum to the walnut. Where exactly did you connect the aluminum to the walnut Im slightly confused on this part. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85 View Post
Hi Easy,

I noticed that you mentioned securing the aluminum to the walnut. Where exactly did you connect the aluminum to the walnut Im slightly confused on this part. Thanks!

The aluminum is not glued or nailed to the walnut, instead, the aluminum is folded and bent to fit over the walnut. I made the bends so that I could slip in over the inside of the aluminum, it just wraps under and over the walnut. All the manifolds and other stuff that is mounted on the aluminum helps hold in place against he walnut. I wanted it that way in case I need to make any repairs, etc, That aluminum took some time to make the bends perfect and get it all to fit together....purely for aesthetics only. You could skip the aluminum altogether, but I found the pink insulation to be not so nice to look at when I open da KEEZER! I hope that helps answer your questions. If you're going for it, I can take some closer pics of the bends so you can have a better idea. Let me know.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #47
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 583 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I copied the aluminum idea for my keezer after seeing this. I couldn't find the black so I just went with silver. I ended up using 14 inch flashing. It looks great, but it does dent fairly easily. If I did it again I'd use heavier aluminum. It is tedious to bend and cut, but it's worth it in the end. It's easy to clean, it keeps moisture from getting to the wood inside the keexer, it seals better around the top and bottom, and looks really nice.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #48
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
The aluminum is not glued or nailed to the walnut, instead, the aluminum is folded and bent to fit over the walnut. I made the bends so that I could slip in over the inside of the aluminum, it just wraps under and over the walnut. All the manifolds and other stuff that is mounted on the aluminum helps hold in place against he walnut. I wanted it that way in case I need to make any repairs, etc, That aluminum took some time to make the bends perfect and get it all to fit together....purely for aesthetics only. You could skip the aluminum altogether, but I found the pink insulation to be not so nice to look at when I open da KEEZER! I hope that helps answer your questions. If you're going for it, I can take some closer pics of the bends so you can have a better idea. Let me know.
Yeah i think some pictures might be helpful. I guess im still confused as to what you mean by fit over the walnut. Im going to go with oak for my build since we dont have any reuse lumber shops around where i live. Now did u bend the metal so that it covers the top and bottom of the walnut and also the insulation? I guess I mean that when you are looking down from the top into the keezer you dont see any wood at all? but from the front you see the wood obviously and you dont see the aluminum because of the trim you put around the top and bottom which im definitely going to do because of how clean that looks. I think im going to put weather stripping between the collar and freezer. I think the aluminum covering the wood and insulation would make a nice seal against the stripping already attached to the freezer lid.

Also, how long are your beer & co2 lines? Just trying to figure out how much i need to buy.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #49
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The beer lines are 8 feet. PSI set at 9. I will send some more detailed pics asap of the aluminum. right now I'm enjoying fresh HopSlam from Bells here in Michigan. Hoppyy!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #50
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

thanks a lot man, cant wait to see the close up pics!

Quick Reply