Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Chest Freezer to "Keezer" --The Broke College student Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
eliskeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest Freezer to "Keezer" --The Broke College student Edition

Hello, I am in the middle of building a "keezer". I have pieced mine together by referencing basically every DIY keezer project in one way or another. I figured I should document my process to help out someone like myself. I do not have much money to spend or access to all the special tools needed to go too overboard. Many of the Keezer DIYs are awesome, but they were just too advanced for me or too expensive. Also, many threads were not as specific as they coould have been when it cam to the actual process. So this will be my version of the process.

Being on a tight budget I wanted a Keezer that was still nice and functional, but I threw out all of the fancy add-ons (casters, expensive wood)

Keep in mind that I wanted to build this for over a year. Patience was the key to finding the best deals.

This is approximately the freezer I picked up off C-list for $50 (awesome rare deal)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You are off to a good start. $50 for a decent sized freezer is a good deal.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
deflagratio
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I take it you are just going to do a basic collar?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to pretty much do the same thing. Live in a 1 room apartment, and will convert a 5cu/ft freezer to a keezer. I think I'm only going to do 2 taps, but from reading around here I know you can do 3-4. I'm going to try to do the bare minimum, just a collar and all the needed parts

I look forward to seeing your build, good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
TerdFurgeson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was in your shoes about a year ago...I started mine with a $50 CL chest freezer as well. Had to buy a drill and borrow a circular saw to get the collar made. I ended up using a hole saw connected to a socket wrench because I was too impatient to wait for the drill to charge enough. I made the collar and can fit up to 8 corneys in (if I had them). Just added faucets as I could, and now I'm up to 5. Good luck with the conversion, and the HBT community can definitely help if needed

Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliskeans View Post
Also, many threads were not as specific as they coould have been when it cam to the actual process.
I'm in the same boat, I am going to need some hand holding when I start building my keezer in a month or so. Though I'm guessing you have probably already seen it as it comes up at the top of the googles, I found this video to be very informative and helpful:

http://billybrew.com/kegerator-collar

Billy lays it out pretty simply in the video, slap some wood together and let it sit on top of the freezer. The only thing he doesn't do, which I have seen in other builds, is insulate the collar - his solution to this was to mount a little fan on the collar which pushes air down into the freezer, keeping the air moving.

Quick Reply