Calibrating Love Controllers on Brutus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetgorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anybody give me guidance on how to calibrate the love controllers. I notice about a 5 degree rise after the solenoid closes on the ASCO gas valve controlled by the controller. Is there a way to compensate for average rise int he controller or is it just a guess as to the lower set point you have to set to hit the right temp?

Any help would be appreciated.

So the burner shuts off, but the temperature probe sees a slow rise of another 5 degrees?

Is the probe measuring HLT temperature, mash temperature, or what? Where it the probe physically located in the vessel or plumbing, and is the liquid the probe is measuring being circulated?

Cheers!

[edit] I have a Love TSS2 (dual stage) and there are positive offset "calibration" registers for the two possible probes. I suppose you could set the SP1 stage offset +5 degrees which in theory would shut off the gas five degrees earlier than your Set Point, but to me that would be masking a potentially less-than-ideal setup. Better to figure out why what you're seeing is happening first, as there may be a better way to go...

Cheers!

So the burner shuts off, but the temperature probe sees a slow rise of another 5 degrees?

Is the probe measuring HLT temperature, mash temperature, or what? Where it the probe physically located in the vessel or plumbing, and is the liquid the probe is measuring being circulated?

Cheers!

[edit] I have a Love TSS2 (dual stage) and there are positive offset "calibration" registers for the two possible probes. I suppose you could set the SP1 stage offset +5 degrees which in theory would shut off the gas five degrees earlier than your Set Point, but to me that would be masking a potentially less-than-ideal setup. Better to figure out why what you're seeing is happening first, as there may be a better way to go...

Cheers!
Actually, thanks, your post made me think about a solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back