Cacaman's Spring Break Cheap Keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Alex. I am a 21 year old college kid. Unlike any college kid who went to the beach, or went on vacation, I decided to make a keezer this spring break (plan for the future right?)! However, just like any college kid, I am broke, and a had a budget of around $400...more or less what an out of town trip would have costed me. I decided to follow brewit2it's cheapest keezer build found here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheapest-new-2-keg-keezer-224848/

I got additional ideas from:

Rick 500's Black Frigidaire
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-frigidaire-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-162225/

Heyjaffy's "my version of Brewit2it's "Cheapest New 2 Keg Keezer"
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-version-brewit2its-cheapest-new-2-keg-keezer-229122/

And MysticPhantom's "Keezer with aluminum collar"
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-aluminum-collar-229956/

...and of course some creativity from my end.

Before starting: The first thing I did was order the ranco temperature controller. I was debating between a johnson and ranco. I ended up going with the ranco because I found one at around $50 not pre-wired. Wiring was not really a challenge, I just followed this guide, and it worked just fine:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?644-Ranco-ETC-111000-000-120V-Wiring-Guide

The second thing was to buying the freezer. I decided to go with the Sam's 5.0' freezer, costed about $140.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Day 1: I used a 2x3 stud for the collar. Brewit2it cut his sides with flat corners, I decided to cut at 45 degree angles for a cleaner finish given the fact my dad has an electric saw.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Tested, and seems to fit fine to make a collar.

IMG_0140.jpg

Next step was to drill holes. The closest size I had for my shanks, was a 1" drill bit, and it turned out just fine.

IMG_0141.jpg

Day 2: The next day, I applied a couple of coats of red oak wood stain. I like Rick500's finished look, so I decided to pick that color. Here are the first and final coats.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Day 3: On this day I attached the already stained collar using L-brackets on the inside corners. You can see here how it sat on the freezer:

IMG_0144.jpg

Note: Some of the corners did not seal right due to imperfection in my cutting. I used this product called "Liquid Nails" to seal the outside corners of the collar, and stained them with wood stain. It doesn't look perfect, but it looks much better than having some of those corners unsealed. You may be able to notice this at the end.

Day 4: I painted the freezer using Rust-o-leum appliance epoxy. It took 2 cans, but worked out great. Good clean factory-like look. Here's a pic during the painting:

IMG_0149.jpg

Warning: Index finger may get extremely tired during the painting process.

Day 5: Here I finished and attached the collar. I used 2-sided tape to mount the collar as seen here:

IMG_0152.jpg

When reattaching the hinges, instead of using brewit2it's breaking off method, I just used washers to attach them back. I believe heyjaffy did something similar. Here's a photo of it:

IMG_0153.jpg

I decided to screw on the manifold to the back part of the keezer for easier access. Everything ended up fitting great.

IMG_0154.jpg

Here is a pic of the final product:

IMG_0155.jpg

...And of course the glamor shot

IMG_0168.jpg

Note: Before anyone bashes and flames on my bud handles, please excuse them. They are the only ones I have, and I know my Mexican BMC uncles will love them!

Please post any questions or comments!

-Alex :mug:

You passed on a pile of college snatch to build a keezer? Very dedicated, nice build.

_

Looks great :mug: - nice work

I just added a 3rd tap to mine for a 3-gallon keg that's on the way. I'll share pics soon.

You passed on this???

fsu-hot-college-girls.jpg

The keezer will last much, much longer! And will never get this hot! Good call!

wedge421 said:
Nice sacrifice! Ill have one in your name :)

I'm truely honored :mug:
Nice arrogant bastard avatar btw

I look forward to photos heyjaffy. I was thinking of doing the same thing on that hump inside the fridge and putting soda or experimental batches. The only thing is I had trouble finding a good priced 3 gallon keg.

kellynm said:
You passed on this???

The keezer will last much, much longer! And will never get this hot! Good call!

Yep.. Only they weren't wearing the top part of the clothing :).

During the summer I'll have hundreds of them in my backyard rather than 1-2 in my hotel room ;)

Cheers!

dallasdb said:
Please tell me after all that work you're not going to leave it outside are ya?

My hard work will have to be appreciated in the outdoors. It's in the porch, so weather won't be an issue. The only issue will be not being able to showcase it in the living room, and the roaches out back :(

Cacaman said:
My hard work will have to be appreciated in the outdoors. It's in the porch, so weather won't be an issue.

You should get a bbq cover that will fit over it! The paint will probably be fine, I wwould worry more about the wood getting weathered.

dallasdb said:
You should get a bbq cover that will fit over it! The paint will probably be fine, I wwould worry more about the wood getting weathered.

That's actually a really good idea, I never thought about it. I'll go to academy later on tonight and see what they got. Thanks.

Very nice. You have something there that you will enjoy for a long time.:rockin:

Looking good heyjaffy! One addition I want to make is add a 2x4 square stand, attached with wheels with brakes. That will add some height, and make the keezer more mobile. I'm in no rush to do that though, keezer works great for now... Just need to find a solid recipe for a batch of beer!

Back