Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Bar Top material

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
clinesmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bar Top material

I was cleaning house and was about to throw out this headboard which was broken. I just had this crazy idea to build a bar out of it. Anyone got any ideas for a cheap top. I was thinking of finding 2 wide boards and glueing them together with clamps.

dsc_0449.jpg   dsc_0450.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Wood flooring is what I'm using, but then again it was given to me for free.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

clinesmith Likes This 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Got the top figured out

I went to home depot and looked at the flooring. Thanks WileECoyote for the idea. The were lacking in colors though. Thats what we get for being on such a small island. I settled on poplar wood. Well that is until they didn't have enough so most is poplar wood and the center is oak. I wanted the entire thing oak but its $9 dollars a foot here.

dsc_0468.jpg   dsc_0463.jpg  

Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Although I didnt use the flooring for the top, if the sides don't turn out right with the stain. Because its a cheap flat wood I may just buy some flooring panels to cover it up. Im moving to Germany in 3 months and hope the movers don't break my new project before I can enjoy it

Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you got rid of the headboard and put in shelves you will have a lot more storage space. Would a mini fridge fit in there?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I may get rid of the headboard eventually but it was really the only reason I started the bar.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Almost done

i am almost done with the bar. I have had a lot of friends say to remove the headboard as well. I might just keep it in for a few more months and then build some shelving. Thanks for the ideas. I was also thinking of building speakers into the sides. Anyone have any other ideas I could add on to this project.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Make sure you allow the bar top to "float" on one edge. As temp changes, the top will expand/contract. If the entire thing is screwed down, you may get bowing/split in the top itself. An easy way to do this is to screw one side down from under your back rail, on the front rail (before screwing it down), make small slots about a .5" long. When you attach the front (or the piece where you would be standing behind the bar, however you orientate it), use a screw with a washer, and screw it in the middle of the slot. This will allow for the wood to expand/contract and not mess with the top itself.

Personally, I would do the top all in oak. I know it isn't cheap where you are, but that poplar is "paint grade" hardwood. It changes color quickly in sunlight, to something that will not look good with that oak. Better to go without for a week/month while getting the top done right, than get instant gratification and want to redo it later. YMMV.

Another alternative would be to get some of the oak plywood, and then get some of the thinner pieces of oak at HD and use it as banding around the plywood edge. This gives you a stable top that will not move on you due to temp/moisture content, looks nice, and probably come in a bit cheaper as well. Just a thought.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I already screwed on the top. I wish I would have read that sooner

dsc_0481.jpg   dsc_0480.jpg   dsc_0479.jpg   dsc_0477.jpg   dsc_0476.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
clinesmith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
Make sure you allow the bar top to "float" on one edge. As temp changes, the top will expand/contract. If the entire thing is screwed down, you may get bowing/split in the top itself. An easy way to do this is to screw one side down from under your back rail, on the front rail (before screwing it down), make small slots about a .5" long. When you attach the front (or the piece where you would be standing behind the bar, however you orientate it), use a screw with a washer, and screw it in the middle of the slot. This will allow for the wood to expand/contract and not mess with the top itself.

Personally, I would do the top all in oak. I know it isn't cheap where you are, but that poplar is "paint grade" hardwood. It changes color quickly in sunlight, to something that will not look good with that oak. Better to go without for a week/month while getting the top done right, than get instant gratification and want to redo it later. YMMV.

Another alternative would be to get some of the oak plywood, and then get some of the thinner pieces of oak at HD and use it as banding around the plywood edge. This gives you a stable top that will not move on you due to temp/moisture content, looks nice, and probably come in a bit cheaper as well. Just a thought.
I know you said the poplar would fade. Do you think if I put an epoxy over it after I stained it, that it will still fade? I thank you for the advice you gave. I am headed to Germany in 2 months and after 2 years there I may be going stateside and Want to build myself a permanent bar wherever I get a house.

Quick Reply