Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Bar Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bar Rebuild

I have a very unique opportunity. I am in a fraternity, in my senior year of college, and the alumni have all agreed that they would finally like to see the basement bar in our house re-done. They are paying for everything and have put me in charge of the project. I plan on replacing the bar top with an infinity mirror. The bar-top infinity mirror will be about 18 inches with an additional bar about 6 inches lower for the bartenders to work on and where the taps and sink will be mounted. That bar will be about 12 inches. The taps I plan on getting are 2 dual faucet tower taps. I will also be getting a 19.7 cubic ft. chest freezer that will be able to hold 2 sanke kegs and 2 corny kegs (or no sanke kegs and a lot more cornies). That along with a 4-way gas manifold and a 10# CO2 tank should take care of the functional aspect. As far as as aesthetics go, the only thing I really want to try to do is that infinity mirror, although, it conflicts with other potential plans. I also want to try bricking over the whole back wall and sketching the current mural on top of the brick, just not a full color thing like it is now. I feel the brick wall and semi-futuristic look of an infinity mirror bar top will conflict. Lighting is going to be a key element in this rebuild, especially since the main purpose of the bar is a party bar. Switching from fluorescents and black-lights is going to be necessary.

Here are some pictures of the bar as it is now.

Any input or ideas on how to go about this rebuild would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have an idea on something that would make it actually look good and not just random things thrown together.

I'm good with functionality. I will make this one of the smoothest operating home bars around. I'm just terrible when it comes to figuring out how to make something look good, although I know when it doesn't.

I will post pictures as I go through the build. I will be giving the list of materials (for the functional aspect at least) to the alumni this weekend and hopefully will get the build started in the next few weeks. But once again, any help will be appreciated as I have never designed a bar before, and while it is a nice challenge, I don't want it to end up looking worse than it started (though I don't think I could mess up that badly)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

* subscribed *

I know its a Frat house, but I'd love to see this turn out very upscale and legit looking because it looks pretty wretched. I should hope no ladies get to see that in sober daylight.

-=Jason=-

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Hell yeah.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
mariojr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Complete stainless build with a drain in the middle of the floor. I know how those frat parties get

Mario

A Flower?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Espi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if those walls could talk. oh boy

When in darkness... when in doubt... run in circles... scream and shout!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm with the others.

And money on glass and infinity lights = crazy. Expensive and it is bound to be trashed first bash.

I'd spend the money (and I'm guessing the budget is limited) on cleaning up; plenty of paint (goes a long way, makes things look new, and can be changed at any time if you don't like or are bored); taps, CO2, fridge; and then upgrading the bar and other structural stuff with materials that can be easily cleaned (read: pressure washed, ha!) and stand the bashing it's going to see (wait, sorry, someone already said SS).

Chicks dig sanitary (or do they?) and fraternity's dig chicks.

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
* subscribed *

I know its a Frat house, but I'd love to see this turn out very upscale and legit looking because it looks pretty wretched. I should hope no ladies get to see that in sober daylight.

-=Jason=-
The last time that bar saw any action was about 6 months ago and it was a blacklit basement, behind the bar as well.

Also, we've been rennovated damn near everything in the house including the basement with contractors doing all of that work, the bar is the only thing the brothers have been put in charge of, so the ceiling looks like a mess because they have to do all sorts of electrical and plumbing work. Hopefully when the bar is finished, they will have finished with that and put a ceiling back on. The bar looks like **** because it's never used so people see no reason to clean it, hah.

As far as upscale, it will still be used for parties, and the room it's in is usually the dance floor/where the band plays, so I don't know how upscale we can make it. I would like to make it look classier than the typical slab of wood and drywalled bar you see at every other fraternity house, though with the ideas listed above, I don't know how a brick covered wall will mesh with a modern looking bar top so the looks we will get to once we get the functionality fully planned.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone View Post
I'm with the others.

And money on glass and infinity lights = crazy. Expensive and it is bound to be trashed first bash.

I'd spend the money (and I'm guessing the budget is limited) on cleaning up; plenty of paint (goes a long way, makes things look new, and can be changed at any time if you don't like or are bored); taps, CO2, fridge; and then upgrading the bar and other structural stuff with materials that can be easily cleaned (read: pressure washed, ha!) and stand the bashing it's going to see (wait, sorry, someone already said SS).

Chicks dig sanitary (or do they?) and fraternity's dig chicks.

Cheers!
We will be making the infinity mirror ourselves, not expensive at all. It's going to be about 200 LEDs (not even $10), a slab of plexi-glass with a roll of reflective tint (also very in-expensive), and a mirror. Also, I can imagine that you would think the bar will take a lot of abuse, but I've never seen that to be the case. For the most part, the unruly crowd is upstairs with the beer pong tables. Also, since the bar-top itself will be plexi-glass, it is much less likely to be broken than a glass top.

I don't much like the idea of painting, just because I wouldn't want to paint over brick or concrete walls (I don't think that would look good), and if we dry-wall to paint, I think the dry wall is more likely to damage than the bar top.

Right now the idea is to brick over the back wall and essentially get that whole area to have that red-brick underground look (we will be power washing the bar face so it's the actual brick showing and not the red paint that's there now). That's the part I like, once again, I just don't know how the infinity mirror everyone wants will look with it.

In the first post I describe most of the things we plan on getting for the functionality of the bar, so that's mostly planned out. The only thing not set in stone is what it will all look like.

Also, I don't actually know what the budget is yet, they haven't given me one. They wanted me to get a list of necessary materials together first and then go from there. With a 19.7 cu ft freezer, 2 dual faucet tower taps, a 4 way co2 regulator, 2 corny kegs, a used 10# co2 tank, and all the tubing and fittings to attach everything, the cost comes out just about $1080, and I know I can get enough brick to cover 19.5 sq ft of wall for $35, so that cost won't be too large either. As far as a temperature regulator goes for the freezer, I'm at an engineering school with 6 electrical engineers in my fraternity, I'm sure they can build one, no need to buy one.

If we brick-wall the entire area behind the bar, I don't know if we should keep a brick face for the bar or change that, and if we change that, to what?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stripper Pole.

Just saying.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

First off get rid of that freestanding stainless urinal.
Start with a rustic look using old pallet boards butted tight on the walls, finish it with a Polynesian decor.
Cheap and fast.

Quick Reply