Attaching wood to Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtskinner

Reaction score
All was going good, 3 beers resting comfortably in secondary, keezer collar attached, sealed, squared, perfectly, lid couldn't be anymore flush, then I tried spray painting it myself. Needless to say, it looks like crap! I have some really neat USMC decor to dress this thing up nice but I can not put them over a crappy paint job. Taking it over to guy at a local body shop for recs, otherwise, since I have a woodshop, I may deck it out with wood covering. Long sob story to get to this question but will lock tite adhesive work for attaching woodt to sides? It seemed to lock my collar down good!

I would make a shell to place the freezer inside of with a little air space around it. Putting a fan to circulate some air around the airspace wouldn't be a bad idea either. Chest freezers dissipate heat from the coils through the metal skin. If you glue wood directly to it the freezer will probably not be able to dissipate the heat very well.

I do remember one person that glued some 1/4" luan to the side of his keezer with no reported issues so the lock-tite would probably work. The problem is that most of these freezers release heat through their outer shell, unless it has cooling fins on the back. There are many keezer builds that can be found on this site with great info, it's where I got my ideas. Browse some of them and put your own spin on it.

I have three keezer build links of my own at the bottom of my post. My wood surrounds work similar to a base board heater. Cool air comes in through the bottom pulling the heat up and out. No fans are needed if you give yourself some air space.

Utilize that wood shop and show off your skills but don't forget to post lots of pics.

I would suggest gluing furring strips to the keezer, then attach the wooden skin to the furring strips. A quart can of rustoleum oil base enamel applied with a brush will also do a decent job for like 8 bucks.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to spray paint it one more time. I did take it to a local body shop, the owner was awesome. He didn't think it was as bad as I described, thought it just didn't have enough paint on it. He could even tell exactly how I painted it, spray motions/ strokes with can so he gave me some advice or quick spray lessons, 1000 grit sp, to lightly rough up but not strip paint, tac cloth and recommended I do it again because it now has a good base coat and if it doesn't turn out he said bring it back and he'll help in his controlled environment. The owner was really intrigued by the home brewing and keezer/ home kegging concept! Ohhhh the things he could do to his own keezer with a paint room, air brush guy and metal fabricator to cover collars!

I recently finished my kegerator build, and i used some veneer and contact cement to adhere it to the painted metal fridge. It has to be a solvent-based contact cement, not the water based stuff. It adhered really well, but I ran into some issues with the thin veneer wrinkling when it dried.

Back