Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Another KEEZER build.... w/ pics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #101
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike191 View Post
Great job! Share the recipe on Rootbeer?
Nothing special... I've always taken the quickest route... 2 oz bottle of Old Fashion Homebrew Root Beer base, 8 cups sugar, 4 gallons water, and about 25 psi of Co2... done.

Ultimately, I think something "thicker" and "creamier" would be better, but I've always gotten rave reviews from those that drink it (though I don't drink much of it myself)...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #102
mike191
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
Nothing special... I've always taken the quickest route... 2 oz bottle of Old Fashion Homebrew Root Beer base, 8 cups sugar, 4 gallons water, and about 25 psi of Co2... done.

Ultimately, I think something "thicker" and "creamier" would be better, but I've always gotten rave reviews from those that drink it (though I don't drink much of it myself)...
Thanks, it's a start and the grand kids do drink rootbeer and orange soda.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #103
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Great Job!

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #104
maseline_98
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
A few "final" pics since I realized I never added them to the end of this thread.

Have the plumbing in hand to add a third gas line off the end of the existing regulators to provide a spot to gas a third keg while I'm drinking the other two.... and eventually I'm sure I'll slide a 3rd tap in the middle of the other two as well as another reg.

With the fan I've added now, I can maintain a friggid' serving temp of about 38 with no freezing at the bottom. At 10 psi I've got beautiful pours from both taps and ice cold brew. 12 psi poured well also, but seemed over carbed after I lowered the temp from around 42 or 44.
What stain and poly finish did you use? Also...whay is the distance from the tap hole to the drip tray?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #105
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseline_98 View Post
What stain and poly finish did you use? Also...whay is the distance from the tap hole to the drip tray?
I honestly can't recall which stain I used. I have about a million Varathane, Minwax, etc cans laying around from previous projects and used one of them at the time... not sure which though.

Before staining, I started with a coat of Varathane Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to help ensure that the stain adhered evenly. I was worried about the thin paneling and various trim pieces all accepting the stain equally. The conditioner also assists in hiding any glue squeeze out.

For the clear, I used a semi-gloss water based Varathane floor sealer. I like the durability of the stuff, and being waterbased, it allows for easy application, quick drying, and no mess clean-up. Love the stuff.

And the tap handle to drip tray distance is 10-1/2" from lowest point of the taps to the top of the stainless tray. I am very happy with the distance, which accommodates pitchers well, and looks appropriate for the scale of the keezer.

Quick Reply