Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Another Bar Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default KPR's Bar Build - Frigidaire Cold Box Expansion Kegerator

Hey all, first off I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted their bar builds on here. Without your help I would be lost in the water when it came to this project.

To the bar:

I bought our house a few months ago, and wanted to turn the game room into a bar/mancave area. I had two Frigidaire Mini Fridges that I wanted to incorporate. Unfortunately, I wanted the capability of putting multiple kegs, and/or full size commercial kegs under the bar. I came here and saw the threads by -TH- and others and decided I would take on the task.

The overall bar measures approximately 7 foot long by 6 foot deep. After many nights (and days) visiting/testing various bars I decided to have the bar height set at 41 inches. All of this was SWMBO approved of course. The top bar will be blue-tiled and trimmed with epay hardwood. I havent decided what the bottom bar will be made of. Possible a simple countertop material that is easy to clean/maintain. The front and sides will be corrugated galvanized roofing material.

I took the door of the fridge, used 2 inch foam insulation board to construct the cold box, caulked and aluminum taped the whole thing to prevent air leaks, and added some FRP paneling from Lowes. I got lucky that the framing job I did for the bar gave me a good compression fitting so the cold box is essentially "stuck" to the fridge. Did some test runs with a full keg of water and some bottles and it hit 32 degrees last night. Now all I have to do is add the tap tower permanently!

Heres some pics. I didnt take any until most of the framing was up, but it should tell the story I think. If anyone has any questions or wants to see more detailed pictures, I am more than happy to help!

Here is most of the framing for the bottom bar complete, as well as some of the cold box.

I glued all edges with titelock paneled adhesive and sealed them with 100% weatherproof silicone. The second fridge will go in the top right where the 1/4 keg is sitting.

The door does not hold closed by itself. For now I am just using this wood clamp to hold it shut against some rubber foam stripping I installed along the perimeter of the door seal. I tried screwing around with sheet metal and allowing the manufacturers magnetic seal, but I couldnt get it perfect and there would be air leaks. I am thinking of some sort of latch that is simple to open and close. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should be able to fit up to 5-6 cornies, multiple quarterbarrels, a full keg, or some combination. Right now its holding water in my carboy, corny, and a case of bells variety that my little beer distributor down the street just got in!

Heres an overview shot. I will try to keep taking pics as this build progresses!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

placeholder for pics

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Very nice! I really like the exposed brick. How many taps do you have planned? Leaving room for expansion?

Brew Projects: Finishing up my single-tier rig! It's taking forever.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
danger831
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

do you have a way to get the fridge out once the bar is finished if you do it will run for ever if you don't it will die the day after you finish the bar.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
kpr121
Recipes 

I have a single tap now. I'm planning on either buying a tap extension or drilling another hole in the tower itself.

I'm not sure that the fridge is going to die. I have read the threads on here and noone has really said that they've had any real problems. If you have evidence to the cibtrary I'd be interested. Either way, there are plans to create an access panel on the left of the bar. I also installed a PC fan and AC vent at the top of the bar to push hot air out and away. Right now it's wired to run all the time, I may look into trying to tie into the compressor turnon switch to allow it to only run while the fridge is running, since it is somewhat annoying.

the fridge walls were pretty warm for a good 8 hours but I think it was just trying to get al that thermal mass down to temp. Once everything cooled down I don't think the compressor needs to run all that often. We shall see.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I'm not sure that the fridge is going to die.
You've just sealed your fate.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

mjohnson, I will edit that post. Please edit yours so there is no evidence! I don't want to piss off the beer gods!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
kpr121
Recipes 

Am i correct in assuming that with a large amount of thermal mass (say 4 cornies or so) at desired temp would decrease the amount of hardships the compressor would see? Of course this is all assuming that I have the box well insulated and sealed up...

You guys got me worried I'm gonna have to tear this bar down before it even gets completed!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

bah, you'll probably be fine. However, if its not too late, you may just want to figure out a way to remove the fridge if need be. It doesn't need to be an easy access panel, but it would be a shame to have to completely dismantle the bar if you did need to replace it. If its already too late, well, then you may just have to cross that bridge later. RDWHAHB. It looks like its going to be a nice setup. I'm jealous.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

how can you be certain nothing will happen to the fridge?

ever hear of murphy's law?

electrical problems? compressor problems?

that room looks good though. i like the brick!

Quick Reply