Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > 5 Ft Holiday Keezer Build Small Collar (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Hagelslag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 5 Ft Holiday Keezer Build Small Collar (pics)

Hey all,

I've just started working on a collar for my 5' Holiday freezer. I wanted to start this thread to document my trials and tribulations. My carpentry skills are non-existant so I might need some help along the way.

Just a couple of things.
I know it sounds crazy but I wanted a small keezer. I won't need more than 2 kegs and I just wanted a simple, small set up. I also did not want to damage the freezer. i.e. no drill holes, messing with the hinges, or glue/liquid nails on it.

So with that being said, I wanted to make the collar as small as possible. I've been reading and searching the forums and see that the larger collars seem to have problems with condensation or the tap lines getting to warm. *Wouldn't a smaller collar help with this? Has anyone else built a 2x4 collar? I searched the internet and couldn't find any. Or at least any that talked about the hinges. (which is the reason I'm posting)

The hinges need a minimum of 4" to be screwed in with both screws... *Are both hinge screws necessary? or would the hinges hold good enough with just the top ones? (see pics below)

I could easily make the collar bigger with 2"x 1/2" trim? But that would add a additional 1/2" of headspace which I don't really want...thoughts?

(2) Perlick Faucets w/(2) 4" shanks are arriving in the next couple days. My next step is deciding on the wood for the outside. I was thinking 1x6 red oak.

My goal - have this done by my birthday April 5th. I got a IPA that would be ready and I want it to be my first draft pulled from my new keezer.

img_3643.jpg   img_3694.jpg   img_3740.jpg   img_3742.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Looks good dude! If your worried about having the extra 2 screws in the hinge why don't you just drill 2 new holes in the metal to make it work?

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I would think if you used as large as a wood screw as will fit through the hinge without going all the way through the 2X4 two should be plenty. Also you could add a third in the large hole by using a washer. If you have space for the heads I would use 3/4 to 1 inch long hex head lag bolts. Drill a pilot first so as to not split the wood (looks like redwood?). You could insulate the inside of the wood with foam board or other rigid insulation board. I have been looking at a similar freezer for the same purpose. Keep us updated.
Thanks

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Hagelslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle1 View Post
Looks good dude! If your worried about having the extra 2 screws in the hinge why don't you just drill 2 new holes in the metal to make it work?
I didn't want to drill any holes in the freezer at all.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Hagelslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR View Post
I would think if you used as large as a wood screw as will fit through the hinge without going all the way through the 2X4 two should be plenty. Also you could add a third in the large hole by using a washer. If you have space for the heads I would use 3/4 to 1 inch long hex head lag bolts. Drill a pilot first so as to not split the wood (looks like redwood?). You could insulate the inside of the wood with foam board or other rigid insulation board. I have been looking at a similar freezer for the same purpose. Keep us updated.
Thanks
I thought about the large hole but it's only on one hinge. The other hinge has the spring.

I think I decided that I'm going to put a 2" x 1/2" board on the top just to bump it up another half inch. I'll keep you updated.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

or just make two new hole is the hinge, high enough to catch some wood, and push it up against the wall, you could even threw bolt it.

looking at it again, you could cut the flange of the hinge, more towards the bottom, flaten that and make it extra wide at the bottom half, making a whole new bolting pattern. But I would make sure that it was strong enought to do that before cutting it, that could go two ways, Good or bad

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Hagelslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update, I did some more work last night.

First I picked up a 1x2 which I attached with some wood glue and my nail gun.

For the exterior, I picked up a 7' piece of 1x6 red oak (I decided to splurge). I wanted to miter the oak and I'm terrible at making cuts, as you can probably see from my photos..., but I thought I would attempt it anyway. I decided that I would make the cuts and just flip the board over so they matched up. The front was made to exact length and the other two were made with a couple of extra inches off the back so I could just cut those straight. It worked perfectly.

I lined up the miters and just used wood glue and my nail gun again. I've seen other posts with people bolting the exterior. I just don't see the point. The wood and nails were solid and I wanted a clean finish to red oak. Plus the nail gun was just so much easier. I just made sure I didn't put any nails near where the shanks were going.

I've also seen people building the collar directly on the cooler but I just built it on a table and decided to trust my measurements.

I dry fitted the collar one more time and I was really happy with the fit. It is really snug which is the way I wanted it. I have to actually give it a good push down and its totally flush and doesn't budge.

You can see in the pic that the 3/4" from the 1x2 really made a difference on the hinges. I can now attach it with all the screws and not have to make any additional holes in the freezer or hinges.

I then took the collar off, chalked the gaps on the interior, and used wood filler on all the nail holes.

Good enough for the night. Time to kick back and have a homebrew!

Next step, cut shank holes, sand, stain, and poly.

img_3769.jpg   img_3770.jpg   img_3777.jpg   img_3779.jpg   img_3795.jpg  

Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Hagelslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

more pics!

img_3786.jpg   img_3787.jpg   img_3788.jpg   img_3791.jpg   img_3802.jpg  

Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Home depot has fender washers big enough to cover the big hole. Put two screws on top and one in the big hole that way you don't have to drill the hinge.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
rekoob
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looking great! I like the exterior oak you put on. I didn't do that with mine, but guess I could always add it if I care to. I lined the inside of mine with pink insulation, low enough to add a layer between the top of the freezer and the side insulation. so when i open the freezer top there is another "top" of insulation. I mainly did this to help with condensation.

Quick Reply