Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Yooper_Brew--Welch's Grape wine question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
acy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yooper_Brew--Welch's Grape wine question

I am going to make a couple gallons of grape juice wine using your recipe. This will be my second time making wine. Last fall I made several gallons of plum wine and apple wine from my fruit trees. Both turned out very well, but the trees didn't produce this year, hence the grape juice. When using the fruit to make wine, I started fermetation in a large plastic primary, for 5 or 6 days, before transferring the wine into one gallon secondary jugs that I bought at a wine making supply store. The way I read your recipe, you are skipping the larger primary vessel and going straight to the one gallon secondary. Is that correct? Also, is there a specific yeast that you prefer for this wine?

BTW- I put a couple dozen plums (very sweet prune plums) in the freezer last fall. I am going to get them out, remove the skins and pits, boil them and use the juice in place of water in one of the gallons of grape wine just to see what happens. Bad idea??

Thanks, Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
klcramer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I have a question about the Welch's wine also. If I were to add some white raisins in the secondary to add some body to the wine, how long would I leave them there?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by acy View Post
I am going to make a couple gallons of grape juice wine using your recipe. This will be my second time making wine. Last fall I made several gallons of plum wine and apple wine from my fruit trees. Both turned out very well, but the trees didn't produce this year, hence the grape juice. When using the fruit to make wine, I started fermetation in a large plastic primary, for 5 or 6 days, before transferring the wine into one gallon secondary jugs that I bought at a wine making supply store. The way I read your recipe, you are skipping the larger primary vessel and going straight to the one gallon secondary. Is that correct? Also, is there a specific yeast that you prefer for this wine?

BTW- I put a couple dozen plums (very sweet prune plums) in the freezer last fall. I am going to get them out, remove the skins and pits, boil them and use the juice in place of water in one of the gallons of grape wine just to see what happens. Bad idea??

Thanks, Al
From my understanding boiling fruit is bad because you'll release pectin and get a haze that doesn't go away.

Quote:
Failure to Clear: If you boiled ingredients to extract flavor, color or both and your wine fails to clear, you most likely have a pectin haze (see Pectin Haze below). If your wine is made from starchy ingredients, especially grains or tubers, that were boiled and pressed through a nylon straining bag and then fails to clear, you most likely have a starch haze (see Starch Haze below). If your wine has an off-color haze that fails to clear, you probably have a metal contamination (see Colored Haze below). If you have a haze following a malo-lactic bacteria inoculation, you probably have a lactic acid bacteria haze (see Lactic Acid Bacteria Haze below). If none of these apply and your wine fails to clear after six rackings at 30-day intervals, you simply have a nonspecific cloudy wine. Unless there is a bacterial contamination at work, the wine will probably clear but may take up to a year to do so. If you don't care to wait that long, there are several things you can do.

Pectin Haze: The most common cause of a haze in wine is the presence of pectin, which forms gelatinous solutions in the wine. The problem is aggravated if the must is initially boiled to extract flavor, color or both. To check if a haze is pectin in origin, add 3-4 fluid ounces of methylated spirit to a fluid ounce of wine. If jelly-like clots or strings form, then the problem is most likely pectin and should be treated.
Link

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i make wine almost as much as i do beer, and yes, dfc is correct. don't boil fruit, as it does release pectic enzyme. get it to 170 or over (not much over), and hold it for at least 10 minutes. that'll sterilize it.

Taps:
1: Honey Malt APA
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee

Fermenting: Hoegarden Saison, German Pilsner

Old 11-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
acy
Recipes 

Thanks dfc & lumpher. No boiling the plums. Al

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by acy View Post
Thanks dfc & lumpher. No boiling the plums. Al
Right. I don't even bring them up to above 70 degrees. I use campden tablets (one tablet per gallon) to sanitize the fruit so that it's not heated at all, simply thawed.

For that Welch's recipe, since I make it in one gallon batches, I just start it in a Carlo Rossi jug. You can start it in an ale pail if you'd like.

Raisins can go in for as long as you'd like- I've left wine on raisins for a month or so, I believe.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
klcramer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

do the raisins make a big difference?

Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcramer View Post
do the raisins make a big difference?
They provide body, so if you like a wine with a fuller body, you could use them.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
perschml
Recipes 

Your recipe says to no air lock it it'll "primary fermentation" is complete... How do I know if "primary fermentation" is complete? I have it in a 1 gal glass jug covered with a napkin and its been bubbling like mad for 3 days now.

Should I wait till the bubbling slows or ??????

Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perschml View Post
Your recipe says to no air lock it it'll "primary fermentation" is complete... How do I know if "primary fermentation" is complete? I have it in a 1 gal glass jug covered with a napkin and its been bubbling like mad for 3 days now.

Should I wait till the bubbling slows or ??????
Wait until it's not going to foam over, usually within about 5 days.

Quick Reply