The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Yeast strain for fresh blueberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Frost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast strain for fresh blueberry

I've got 10 pounds of fresh blueberrys and plan to make a couple of different 1 gallon batches. I'm new to winemaking and wanted to know what would be a suitable yeast to use(i've got 1 pack of cotes de blanc). I can't really find any info pertaining to a strain for fresh blueberrys. I am currently aging 1 gallon of Montrachet but I'm worried it's going to oxidize. When i transfered to the secondary jug I used a funnel. After further research I've found this will oxidize my wine, making it very unpleasant to drink. I love the forums, you guys are all great help. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Frost
Recipes 

2 1/2 pounds of blueberries (fresh or frozen) Use more for a heavier body wine.
4 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 Campden tablet.
Wine making yeast

That's the recipe i'm using by the way. Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I've got 10 pounds of fresh blueberrys and plan to make a couple of different 1 gallon batches. I'm new to winemaking and wanted to know what would be a suitable yeast to use(i've got 1 pack of cotes de blanc). I can't really find any info pertaining to a strain for fresh blueberrys. I am currently aging 1 gallon of Montrachet but I'm worried it's going to oxidize. When i transfered to the secondary jug I used a funnel. After further research I've found this will oxidize my wine, making it very unpleasant to drink. I love the forums, you guys are all great help. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I've found this page to be very useful: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp I've used Lalvin D-47 on blueberry melomel & Lalvin K1-V1116 on a multiberry melomel that has blueberries in it. Had good results with the 1st, still waiting on the 2nd, but from what I can tell, it'll be tasty. Good luck! GF.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
jameswardpeterson
Recipes 

cote de blancs will give a little bit sweeter wine than some of the other yeasts, but I would guess it would still give you a great tasting wine if done right. one piece of advice though, cote de blancs is a very calm/slow fermenter, so dont get too worried if you dont see bubbles.

on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...

Quick Reply