Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Yeast inactive?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
TW1Kell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast inactive?

This is my first attempt at wine-making, tho I have been beer brewing for a few months, now. I followed a recipe for peach wine and everything went fine for about 2 weeks. I pitched to my secondary, and the airlock was popping about every 2 seconds, letting a nice bubble up. After 2 days of this, it started getting really foamy and filled the airlock full of foam. I used a straw to remove enough of the foamy mess to have the liquid back to the "fill line" on the airlock, and all was well for another 2 days. At that point, it all stopped. Nothing. No foam, no bubbles, just sediment settling down in the wine. Is this normal? I don't see any activity, at all.

I used 2.5 pounds of peaches, 7 pints of water, pectin, acid blend,etc., all of the goodies listed in the recipe, and a full package of yeast, as came with my kit and as advised in the recipe book that came with it. If this is just normal, fine, but I am concerned as it's my 1st attempt and I have no knowledge to draw from. Thanks for any insight.

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Cooper's Lawnmower Lager: Mixed 4 Feb
Cooper's Irish Stout: Bottled 5 Feb
Coopers' Lawnmower Lager: Bottled 15 Jan (only a few left)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SG???????

Airlock activity is NOT a viable way to determine yeast activity.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
TW1Kell
Recipes 

So...you think I'm still ok? I haven't a clue to what's going on in that carboy. hahaha SG measurements?

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1Kell View Post
So...you think I'm still ok? I haven't a clue to what's going on in that carboy. hahaha SG measurements?
Not funny, SG is the ONLY way to tell what is happening in the carboy.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
TW1Kell
Recipes 

The haha was aimed at the not having a clue. Can I pour the SG sample back in, with wine? I mean, taking samples takes a bit of the good stuff and I'm starting out with only a gallon, in the first place.

The Fox

Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 51

you dont pitch to your secondary...you transfer, you can dump the test sample back in aslong as everything is sanitized....what kind of yeast did you use?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1Kell View Post
I used 2.5 pounds of peaches, 7 pints of water, pectin, acid blend,etc., all of the goodies listed in the recipe
Hears another possible problem, did you use pectin or pectic enzyme?? The enzyme is there to break down the pectin which is a good thing because pectin makes for cloudy wine.

Also I don't see anything in your recipe about sugar, how much of that did you add??
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
TW1Kell
Recipes 

I am not at home, so I don't have my recipe with me. I'll post the entire recipe, when I get back home. I do recall that it was around 4-6 pounds of sugar, I think.

The Fox

Last edited by TW1Kell; 04-03-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added a bit.

Quick Reply