The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > A year of experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
bruceb07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A year of experience

I have just bottled my 13th batch of wine, here are some of my observations and questions:

Most of my batches finish with an bitter-alcohol taste. These get better after 6 months to a year of aging.

Reguardless of which fruit is used, the wines finish very light with little or no flavour of the fruit used.

I have typically used Premier Curvee yeast, does the yeast used have much effect on the end product or aging time?

Is it to be expected that a year of aging is needed to calm the alcohol taste?

Thanks for the help, just trying for continuous improvement......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Yeast makes a big difference. Some, like champagne yeast, have a tendency to distroy a lot of flavour leaving a bland product.
Some need specific temperature ranges or they produce nasty fusels

Higher the alcohol content the longer the aging time needed.

I used ec1118 in a apple wine/cider. Stripped most of the flavour out and it tasted 'hot' at %10.
Same ABV made with a ale yeast was super flavourful and you could barely taste the alcohol.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

How long are you leaving the wine on the lees? What are you using to top off with? What kind of nutrient are you using? I use Premier Cuvee along with raisins for a nutrient for my dark berry wines. I am a "simple" winemaker so I splash rack once a week or every two weeks until there are very little lees. The only bitter wine I have made was orange grapefruit, and I let it bulk age, then it was drinkable.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A cooler ferment would most likely help with the 'hot' alcohol. Maybe a bit more fruit and less adjuncts (sugar), or using an adjunct like corn sugar as opposed to cane sugar.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
bruceb07
Recipes 

Typically it has been 5 -14 days at first racking, I may rack 2-4 times depending on the wine, total ferment time is typically 30 - 40 days. I manage head space with different sizes of carboys instead of topping off. I have used yeast nutrient from MWS in my wines. Ferment temps have typically been arround 70F, I could cool or heat this up some if that would help but the temps are within the yeasts tollerance???

Quick Reply