*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Worried about radiation? Drink red wine!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
brazedowl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15647852

(Resveratrol is a component in red wine)
Excellent. this is the one I found.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...27510705002848

Although I think that the chances of this saving your butt from WWIII or terrorists or nuclear meltdown or whatever else are rather slim. Day-to-day environmental radiation from like granite and radon perhaps though.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #12
Nordique4
Recipes 

The same has been said about miso..

In the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz:

"one specific health benefit of miso is the protection it provides against exposure to radiation and heavy metals... Research that verified this was conducted in the wake of the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and grew out of the observations of a Nagasaki physician, Dr. Shinichoro Akizuki. Akizuki was out of town the day of the bombing,.. He returned to Nagasaki to treat survivors.. He and his staff ate miso soup together everyday and never experienced any radiation sickness, despite their proximity to fallout.. Led to the finding that miso contains an alkaloid called dipicolinic acid that binds with the metals at carries them out of the body..."

Bean ferments page 59

I LOVE this book, it was the gateway into fermentation and I recommend it to anyone who is a fermentation enthusiast!

image-2716045587.jpg  

Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique4 View Post
The same has been said about miso..

In the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz:

"one specific health benefit of miso is the protection it provides against exposure to radiation and heavy metals... Research that verified this was conducted in the wake of the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and grew out of the observations of a Nagasaki physician, Dr. Shinichoro Akizuki. Akizuki was out of town the day of the bombing,.. He returned to Nagasaki to treat survivors.. He and his staff ate miso soup together everyday and never experienced any radiation sickness, despite their proximity to fallout.. Led to the finding that miso contains an alkaloid called dipicolinic acid that binds with the metals at carries them out of the body..."

Bean ferments page 59

I LOVE this book, it was the gateway into fermentation and I recommend it to anyone who is a fermentation enthusiast!
I don't have a copy of the book to look, but I'm assuming that he cites his source for this information yes? Because all I can find is a bunch of alternative-health websites that repeat the same thing word for word without citing a source. If I see one more page that says "research shows..." or "studies by scientists..." but doesn't cite said research or study I'm going to scream.

A scholarly search for miso soup turns up that diet has no correlative effect on stomach or breast cancer in Hiroshima or Nagasaki survivors.

A search for "dipicolinic acid" and radiation turns up lots of studies on how it protects bacterial endosperm from radiation and heat. But nothing associated with radiation sickness in humans.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Quick Reply