Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine yeast!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Sum1Stu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine yeast!

Hi guys, im going to buy some freshly crushed grapes and I dont want to use Lalvlin-ec 1118 just because the fact every store sells it, and it seems that yeast is for noobs.

I am specially ordering yeast, and im thinkin of sticking with Lalvin company, but trying a different yeast. Im thinking RC 212 or 71B-1122.

The thing with the 71B is that it doesnt have HIGH nutritional requirements, and produces esters. I need some information on how to get nutrients into a fresh grape juice musts, and depending on the grapes, would i be needing to add anything ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I use EC-1118 in most of my wines, unless I have a reason to use a different yeast. Sometimes I use D-47 for wines, if I want to do a MLF later.

If I'm doing an apple wine, I use 71B-1122 because it metabolizes more of the malic acid than other yeast strains. For wines high in malic acid, this can be a very good thing. Of course, EC-1118 is also very good for apple, too.

For a fresh bouquet, I think k1-v1116 is very good. For a white wine, that'd be my choice.

I've never used RC 212, because I don't make many grape wines (other than kits) and rarely make big reds.

I guess the thing to do is to decide what you want the yeast strain to bring to the wine. In my opinion, not using EC-1118 because it's popular is a not well-thought-out reason, but there are definitely other yeast strains that you could use.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

LOL IDK I just think its a NOOB yeast that they sell because it ferments high levels of alcohol quickly, and without fuss.

What would you suggest for an "alicante" or "ruby cabernet" type of grapes ? ? I really havnt got a taste to wine, and havnt tried many from the store.

I have the ability to rack, use campden tablets and store some of them. Only problem is in the summer time, temperatures tend to climb, and I will probobly need a new home for them if I plan to age them.

What im looking for is something with a full body, not a watery/or thin mouthfeel taste to it. Ive bought several of the cheap juice kits and they all turned out like complete garbage, figure 20$ for 5gallons of juice, its guaranteed to be watered and sugard down.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I feel ya dude...I am about to make a Merlot and I am also concerned about the yeast choice in the kit. It is the Lavalin Denmark. I have been researching it. What are you making??

Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

Not sure, I need some advice, I really want to co-ordinate the grape with type of yeast lol I also dont want to have to bother with PH testing, and adding acid blends.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

So guys ? any suggestions ?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that if you are making a "Ruby Cabernet" then you want to use a slightly less attenuative yeast. Perhaps a Rhone type or maybe even a burgundy yeast as they will be more apt to allow you the chance to not completely dry out the wine. EC-1118 is a great yeast for the fruity flavor and for a no brainer on a light wine like that. I would keep using it and do use it pretty consistantly.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

Well you said to use low attentuative yeast, which means a yeast that wont eat up all the sugars quickly.

Isnt this what ec-1118 does ? eat sugars fast ?

For now I only have access to Lalvin yeasts...so either rc 212 or the 1122. Its a choice betweeen enhancing varietal character, or esters. IM not sure which one I will prefer since im a wine tasting noob!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
warispeace
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If I'm doing an apple wine, I use 71B-1122 because it metabolizes more of the malic acid than other yeast strains. For wines high in malic acid, this can be a very good thing. Of course, EC-1118 is also very good for apple, too.
Thanks for this! I'm brewing my first batch of apfelwein and I went with 71B-1122 instead of Montrachet because the guy at the store recommended it. I'm relieved to find he actually knew what he was talking about!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

Yeah most guys use only one yeasts, I dont even bother talking about tips/and tricks with them, here is the best place !!

Anyway my wine came out great with the 1122, made a 2gal batch of grenach, fermented fully dry in a week, probobly cuz i used a whole packet.

Quick Reply