Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine from Welch's concentrate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #31
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I did a batch of the welch's white grape juice with cote des blancs yeast and it's not nearly as tart as the concord. A little less grape flavor, but more balanced. Next time I'll go with white grape peach for the added fullness of peach flavor.

Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #32
bicycle bill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Cheapo wine kits at Costco = 25 bucks, ready in one month and it tastes like wine is supposed to and not grape kool-aid with everclear................
Can you post a link to this Costco site and the cheap but good wine kits?

I would like to check this out since i am on a limited budget.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #33
dopplebock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't care at all for hefeweizens or wheat beers, but I don't 'dis them either. Our tastes are our tastes.
hey YooperBrew, have you ever tried a wheat dopplebock such as Schneider Aventinus Bock, or their eisbock? simple delicious....give one a go. trust me - it's not your average bear!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #34
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
But you can sorbate and campden and sweeten to taste if you'd like.
Yooper.....I need to increase the apple flavor and also lightly sweeten some apple juice wine that I used too many raisins in. The raisins and alcohol over power the apples. I have used sorbate and campden and let age for about 5 months in a bucket. Could I simply pour some apple juice from a bottle into the bucket? If frozen concentrate is the way to go, what is the technique for that?

Thanks.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #35
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew View Post
Yooper.....I need to increase the apple flavor and also lightly sweeten some apple juice wine that I used too many raisins in. The raisins and alcohol over power the apples. I have used sorbate and campden and let age for about 5 months in a bucket. Could I simply pour some apple juice from a bottle into the bucket? If frozen concentrate is the way to go, what is the technique for that?

Thanks.
I wouldn't just pour the juice in, especially in a bucket with all that headspace. You'd risk oxidizing it for sure. You can add some apple juice to a sample, and see how much it takes to be "right" to your taste. Then, do the math and add the correct amount to a new carboy or bottling bucket, and then rack the wine into it so that it mixes but doesn't aerate.

For example, if 1 ounce of concentrate is good for 1 pint of wine, then you can just multiply it out to get the right amount. Juice or concentrate would work, it wouldn't matter. Just use what you'd like to get the taste you want.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #36
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooper... Yes, I would rack onto it...I kind of over simplified it there to get on to my question of juice vs frozen concentrate for sweetening and flavor. I have not added flavor in the past so wasn't sure which means of juice to use. I did not want to use artificial sweetener, such as splenda, and/or fruit flavoring from the LHBS.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #37
firebird77
Recipes 

I'm trying this as my first wine, a super budget brew. What results have been found with nothing but the grape juice concentrate, sugar, water and yeast? No acid blend, stabilizer, back sweetening etc. I'd like to keep some cheap dry yeast on hand, and then do nothing but pick up the concentrate and sugar during the weekly shopping. I'd like to make this and a Premier malt extract beer continuously so that we always have homebrew on hand while working on more interesting recipes.

Also, I have some corn sugar laying around, and although the table vs corn is an ongoing debate, what have people seen in terms of results with this specific recipe? Worth it, not worth it?

Last edited by firebird77; 02-09-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
firebird77
Recipes 

Pitched my first batch Friday, foamed over once with the napkin on and is now bubbling away happily. Great limited resource experiment, seeing as I was without Starsan and my hydrometer. I simply washed everything well, boiled all the water, mixed with 3 cups of sugar and 2 cans of Concord concentrate in the primary and pitched rehydrated Red Star Pasteur Red. I'll post again when it turns out great, without an infection.

Anyone try ice distilling/concentrating this wine? Sounds like it could be a fun experiment!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #39
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I decided to try this Welches wine.

Used 3 cans of grape, 1 1/4 pound sugar, nutrient, acid blend, peptic enzyme and some tannin for kicks.

It is sitting for 24 hours under SO2 and then I will pitch some K1-V116. SG is right at 1.100.

I guess I will see in about 60 days if its worth it or not. Worst case is to use it for topping up.

No experiment is a failure, just a learning tool.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #40
firebird77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

I guess I will see in about 60 days if its worth it or not. Worst case is to use it for topping up.
I figure if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always make sangria for the old lady. Sure, good wine makes good sangria, but I'd rather drink sangria made with jug wine than drink the jug wine on its own.

Quick Reply