Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine vs. beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
gonzoflick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How do we know the kits we buy now have grapes from now? On average in ya'lls experience, how old are the grapes in most kits?

On tap: NOTHING

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Humer
Recipes 

Gonzo, high quality wine kits will have experation dates on them. Just like with ALMOST anything in life the more you spend on something the better its. That goes for wine kits.

American amber
Gumball head clone

On Deck:

Bulk Aging:

Port

Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've made several batches of wine, but I'm not an expert by any means. I've made it from a kit, from canned fruit, from juice, and from fresh fruit/ grapes. The main thing that I have learned is that you can't get good wine from bad ingredients. I made a batch of wine from apples that didn't smell or taste..well, appley. They smelled more like potatoes and weren't very sweet. Some kind of canning apple, I think. There's 5 gallons of 8% apple wine in my shed waiting for Hell to freeze over. Smells like shoe polish and tastes just as bad. That's the only bad batch I've had. Made a nice one out of canned peaches and a box of white raisins. The best was made from some muscadine grapes one of the girls I work with brought in. Don't try banannas !
I'm a fan of sweeter wines. I guess beauty lies in the tastebuds of the beholder. I'm just saying that depending on your level of wine sophistication, you can make a wine to suit your taste without too much trouble. Go for the $80 kit if you want, or make a damn fine wine for around $10 worth of fruit and yeast. It's really not that complicated, or doesn't have to be.

Just my 2 cents worth.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a snoby wine..yes..its all in the varietal grape. The venifer of choice and its micro climates. I have fermented everything in the forest and I'd have to say it's all true from my research. I am no expert either , but...

You can make some good wines from fruit. Try a Kiwi/Grapefruit(50/50). I don't know why but it makes a very interesting wine. If you should try this use a champagne yeast.

Quick Reply