Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine tastes wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Smogre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, just follow those instructions for now and give it time.
Only thing I would add is when you get to the degas part, don't be afraid to really shake it up. I'm a brewer first and a vinter next and shaking brews is a big no-no. Kinda made me hesitant on my wine. These days, I run a whip off my hammer drill for de-gas time.

Even then, with enough time the twang will start to go away.

page 2 ownage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Charbucks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'll second the "don't be afraid to really shake it up" advice. I followed the directions for my first kit to a T, and was surprised to find my first bottle was slightly fizzy (although it's improving with age). Maybe it's just because I'm a wussy little girl, but 2 minutes of hard stirring/rocking on an uneven floor wasn't nearly enough agitation.

mmadmikes - how the hell do you put your thumb over the hole of a 23 L carboy and shake it up? I can't even put my thumb over the hole of a normal beer bottle, let alone shake up fifty-odd pounds of glass and beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply