Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine tastes bitter.. did I screw up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine tastes bitter.. did I screw up?

Ok so I may have ruined 10 gallons of 2 different wines. I have a wild grape and a peach wine that I started on 8/30/09. I added isinglass to both to clean them up a bit I wouldn't have used it on the red but it had pieces of grape floating around. Anyways, I added the isinglass right before a long trip and now it has been approx 6 weeks that these wines have been sitting on the isinglass residue and both of them are incredibly bitter. Acrid is the term that comes to mind, it tastes like there is alum in there if anyone's ever tasted alum used for baking. Is this my fault for leaving it sit so long? Is there anything I can do?

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

added isinglass to secondary or primary? if they've been sitting on the gross lees since september, i think you might be tasting some autolysis flavors.

does it smell aweful, or just a bad taste?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think everything is OK. What I would do is to add some wine stabilizer/sweetner to it and see how that tastes. I leave my Blueberry wine on the lees for months ( I brew cold, usually around 62*f ) without any worries.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
RyanK2
Recipes 

It's not on the lees. I added the finings to to the secondary. It smells good, like wine, but tastes like a double IPA. I'll rack it off the gunk and just let it sit for a long time and hope for the best. I've never experienced this before.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have noticed that most of my batches start to smell good before they start to taste good. I agree with boo_boo, you're probably OK. Rack it off the isinglass and age it a while longer. If it still needs a little help maybe try some wine conditioner. Or you could pull a sample and test out some conditioner/sweetener now; it might just need the edge taken off and bottled.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
RyanK2
Recipes 

The only thing that really makes me wonder is that I've tasted it in the past, like 2 months ago, and it tasted much better than it does now. It was like rocket fuel, but at least it wasn't bitter. I'll follow the advise received here and hope for the best.

Quick Reply