Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine on tap by Fermtech.. anyone use this before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #11
vinoterp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Kevin,

Thanks.. that's exactly what my plan was, prob 5 liters at a time for short term dispensing.. it's more convenient for my wife since she doesn't have to open up a whole bottle when I'm away on travel to drink a glass of wine. I'll give a shot and hope for the best. Thanks for all the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinoterp View Post
Kevin,

Thanks.. that's exactly what my plan was, prob 5 liters at a time for short term dispensing.. it's more convenient for my wife since she doesn't have to open up a whole bottle when I'm away on travel to drink a glass of wine. I'll give a shot and hope for the best. Thanks for all the input.
That is still not what the Fermentech system is for. It is for making your own wine and instead of bottling it, you put it into the bag. And only for wines that either already have been bulk aged or do not need to age (Mist-types). A "regular" kit or fruit wine needs to age. Boxes don't age well, no micro-oxygenation.

Buy a box-o-wine for the wife. The Bota Box is good wine and it gets 90's in Wine Enthusiast magazine. Those will last a long time after opening.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I'm curious, what would you then recommend for purchasing wine from a place that sells wine from their cask? This would be for direct consumption within a relatively short time. This isn't a kit or a fruit wine and not for aging.

The other option would be to get a 1/2 gallon growler and have them fill it up at the tap. But, like a regular wine bottle, the constant opening and closing and air space is going to oxidize this wine pretty badly, even for the short time. (like going through a regular wine bottle through 3 days x2.5)

Based on this, I'd prefer going for a air resistant bag, or heck, a freezer zip-lockbaggie with a spout, and to keep any new air from going in.

Most of the posts have NOT discussed the original intention, to buy ready to drink wine from a wine seller sans bottle. This is of course putting me at risk with the assumption that "sells fresh wine from their barrels by the liter" is a ready to drink wine.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts

Never heard of a winery that sells wine that way?????

Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Never heard of a winery that sells wine that way?????
I think it's pretty common in Portugal and Italy. I'm unsure about other countries, and I rarely travel to Europe.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

The trick was that I saw his location as Italia and checked his profile to figure that he was in Italy where they actually have these sorts of things. Only then did the question make sense to me.

I was thinking like this Fill ‘Er Up at the Wine Station | For 91 Days in Palermo – Travel Blog Or perhaps without the fancy nozzle and they measure some other way. Similar to the way a person might buy fresh orange juice.

THe closest thing we have in the US that I've seen is this: http://www.enomatic.it/new/default.a...docID=&lan=ENG (I love getting a few glasses of wine this way at a certain grocery store, if they still have it.)

Rather than a solid container like the video shows, I would actually think that a bag method might be easier and keep oxygen out in comparison to a hard container since once filled, you can squeeze out the oxygen to leave it just liquid in the bag. Alternatively, since it was mentioned that they have barrels customized for bags of wine already.... I wonder if those could be somehow refillable?

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply