Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine on tap by Fermtech.. anyone use this before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
vinoterp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine on tap by Fermtech.. anyone use this before?

Fermtech Ltd. - manufacturers of specialty home beer and winemaking equipment

Has anyone ever used this? I really can't find anything good or bad with it. Anyways a wine store just opened up in my town, and they sell fresh wine by the liter from their barrels, I want to be able to purchase some and drink it leisurely without having it oxidize... is this the route I should go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It looks like an open-top trash can with a spigot. Another option could be this or this ....

But THIS is what I plan to use for my wine or beer.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4659 Times on 3384 Posts
Likes Given: 917

I've used something similar- it was called emptywinebox.com or something like that. I don't know what happened to the guy, as he was a vendor here and then sort of disappeared. But anyway, it's a plastic bag, and you fill it and it goes into a box. It worked really well, and I was happy with it.

The bag is crucial, as it protects the wine from oxidation and light.

The thing is, I don't really mind bottling that much, and so I don't know if it was such a big advantage as you still have to fill the bag the same way as a bottle. The one big advantage would be if you drink that same wine everyday, for the convenience of just having it handy on the counter.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
vinoterp
Recipes 

Yeah.. we have a mini oak barrel that I've modded to hold bags of wine out of the box, and that's what I was trying to aim for with his, except be able to fill it on my own and not worry about the oxidation. Thanks for the input, I'll definitely take a look at some of the other options.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
It looks like an open-top trash can with a spigot. Another option could be this or this ....

But THIS is what I plan to use for my wine or beer.
None of these are even remotely the same as the Fermatech device. They will NOT work for wine.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
MrJames

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
None of these are even remotely the same as the Fermatech device. They will NOT work for wine.
Why won't the Tap-A-Draft work for wine? Besides, I did not claim the same device, just said an alterenative could be.....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
Why won't the Tap-A-Draft work for wine? Besides, I did not claim the same device, just said an alterenative could be.....
The Tap-a-Draft is for carbonated beverages (which wine is not) and those are NOT alternatives, not even close...

Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

If you put wine in a tap a draft you would end up with a spritzer or carbonated wine.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
MrJames

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

...whoops, almost let the cat out of the bag with my original post...

Tap-A-Draft uses patented technology and food-grade cartridges to help keep your beverages fresh and dispensing properly. As your drink is poured through the Tap-A-Draft System, gas is allowed to enter the bottle to maintain the pressure in the container. For carbonated beverages like beer and soda, using CO2 cartridges, the Tap-A-Draft System keeps the level of carbonation accurate and the taste fresh. Using Nitrous or Argon cartridges with wine will create a barrier to help prevent oxidization of the beverage.

I thought this was a different product. After reading their website, it is not what I thought.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #10
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Depending on the quantity you're buying from the maker, I'd say yes, I've seen discussion on the bag in box method and I've heard it works quite well for a short term to moderate term dispensing. Lets say that you decide to buy a gallon of wine from the place, I'd go with the bag in box and drink it within 2-3 months.

Alternatively, if you were going to buy 5 gallons worth of their wine (or lets say you made some) you can also put wine into a keg and dispense in a similar way. I don't have a nitrogen system (yet), so what I do is either move the keg up high and hook co2 up at a measily 1-2 psi and let gravity pull the wine down a dispenser (picnic tap and hose) and let the co2 fill the space without pressurizing the wine.

High, in some cases, may be up on top of a small footstool or bench.

Given that you are out in Italy, I'd get something light like the Fermtech and at the rate me and my friends drink wine, probably fill the bag once a week. (Assuming a glass or two a day).

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply