Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine on tap. Age first?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Wine on tap. Age first?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/r.../category/292/

I'm a homebrewer and have made my first batch of wine (WinExpert Pinot Grigio, World Vineyard) and its now time to bottle. My wife mainly drinks boxes (e.g. Bota) and we like idea of having the wine in such a dispensing device.

My question is - the instructions on my kit said to let it "age" in the bottle for 1+ months. If I put wine in the bag now, I assume it will not age further. Should I bulk age it in the fermenter for another month before racking it to the bag system?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4465 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/r.../category/292/

I'm a homebrewer and have made my first batch of wine (WinExpert Pinot Grigio, World Vineyard) and its now time to bottle. My wife mainly drinks boxes (e.g. Bota) and we like idea of having the wine in such a dispensing device.

My question is - the instructions on my kit said to let it "age" in the bottle for 1+ months. If I put wine in the bag now, I assume it will not age further. Should I bulk age it in the fermenter for another month before racking it to the bag system?

Thanks!
Aging is aging- the wine doesn't know what vessel it's in. I'd probably keep it in the carboy for a bit, only to keep me from drinking it too soon and having it gone before it peaks!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My first batch of wine was a semi-sweet/off-dry white kit and it tasted pretty good after about a month. I have my first red wine kit clarifying right now. I'm going to try to give that at least six months before tapping into it. I was actually quite surprised how good the white wine turned out. MUCH better than my first beer!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I have a feeling this will be the beginning of another tasty hobby!

Quick Reply