New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine Newbie Wants to Make a Merlot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Good thing I have all this money burning a hole in my pocket; I'd better spend it on more buckets and carboys

I've spent more than the cost of a good kit on a case of good wine. I'm less concerned with cost per bottle than with enjoyment per bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Jboyles123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wine kits tend to be much better than beer kits. Follow the instructions exactly on a high end (expensive) wine kit and you will get great results.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
FireJohnnyM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another suggestion would be to check out the kit making forum here, http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php. I also belong to the forums there and some of the members are actual wine kit manufacturers.

Mods, if it is inappropriate for me to mention this other forum, please delete this post at your discretion. It is, in my opinion, the best forum for wine making as Home Brew Talk is the best for beer.

-- John

Jumping back in all grain. :)

Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

The kit just went into stock, so I am placing the order now. I'll be driving up to the not-so-LHBS for the necessary bucket and carboy.

Anything else that I am likely to need that isn't typically used in homebrewing? I have Campden tablets and a large autosiphon. I'll probably pick up a degassing wand while I am there, as even my current apfelwein is really gassy. I bumped the fermenter while topping up the airlocks and it bubbled over like I threw a handful of Mentos in! I'm afraid to touch or move it now.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
felthamy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi, ime beer kits arent really that good they always tend to have a nasty after taste so when i first tried a wine kit i was very surprised just how good they are. The wine kits vary in price quite alot and it is a case of u get what u paid for. Av tried beaverdales, california connissuer and some of the selection kits and i find the more u pay the better the wine.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
The kit just went into stock, so I am placing the order now. I'll be driving up to the not-so-LHBS for the necessary bucket and carboy.

Anything else that I am likely to need that isn't typically used in homebrewing? I have Campden tablets and a large autosiphon. I'll probably pick up a degassing wand while I am there, as even my current apfelwein is really gassy. I bumped the fermenter while topping up the airlocks and it bubbled over like I threw a handful of Mentos in! I'm afraid to touch or move it now.
What about a corker? Can you borrow a floor corker? If not, buying a "double lever" corker is ok but you'll want #8 corks if you are using a hand corker. You'll need 30 corks with that kit.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
What about a corker? Can you borrow a floor corker? If not, buying a "double lever" corker is ok but you'll want #8 corks if you are using a hand corker. You'll need 30 corks with that kit.
I figured that I would deliberately not get a corker for a while so I have a cast iron excuse not to bottle early. Psychological warfare!

I should have asked if my LHBS will rent/lend a corker. Everything I bought today can be repurposed for beermaking if this wine experiment doesn't work out, so I'll probably try to rent or borrow one when the time comes for this batch. I have some friends that make wine who I am certain have corkers. If it comes out really good and I decide to do it more often then I'll get a good corker.

Here's today's haul from the LHBS. My wife calls the bucket the Wino Wessel.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I got a notice of a shipping label being created for the kit - 51.9 lbs! So I take it that the juice provided is not concentrate - straight juice and skins? I think this kit supplies yeast and oak as well. Can't wait to see this kit!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
I got a notice of a shipping label being created for the kit - 51.9 lbs! So I take it that the juice provided is not concentrate - straight juice and skins? I think this kit supplies yeast and oak as well. Can't wait to see this kit!
I think those kits are juice mostly, with some concentrate. The more juice the better, so the better kits tend to be more expensive. Some cheaper kits are all/mostly concentrate and you use more water in them. The better kits still have some concentrate and you add water, but less. Some kits are like 16L of juice, while others have like 9L.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

This kit was $163 plus shipping, $200 in the LHBS that I visited today. I'll take it this isn't the prison hooch kit

Quick Reply