Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine Newb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
nahk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I only use plastic primary fermenters... I have done over 2,400 batches ( I own a vint on premise) in the last 8 months. So I would say they are fine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Stick to the kits instructions first. Figure out if you like the taste, then after a few batches you can start to experiment.

And yeah; Plastic buckets and better bottles rocks. No need for glass at all. I appreciate my fingers/hands too much

Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
nahk
Recipes 

Scott, I don't know how I survived before Better Bottle.. After trying one we ordered 200 of them.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
nahk
Recipes 

Edit: *100*

Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
scurry64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I made the Black Raspberry Merlot kit. Today was day 6 and I checked the SG, which was 0.996. It was supposed to be 1.010 or lower.

The SG is at the level it should be after the secondary fermentation period. I'm supposed to leave it for 10 days until it reaches its current gravity level.

My question is, should I check the SG in 2 days and if it is the stable, just move on to step 3, or leave it in the secondary for the full 10 days?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

at day 6 you're still in the Primary vessel, you're bucket, right?

And you're secondary is a Carboy?

The reason you ferment the wine in the bucket is because the krausen forming on top would spill out the carboy and you typically worry less about infection/O2 oxidization because of the mass amounts of CO2 coming off.

Racking into the secondary gets the wine off the yeast bed and into a container with very limited headspace. You'll need to make sure you have something handy to top off the carboy with if it doesn't reach up to about 1" from the bottom of the stopper. for this type of wine anything would work, even a cheap bottle of white Zin or something.

The trick is to get it racked to the Carboy when there's enough off-gassing left to fill that little airspace with CO2.

How long it sits in the secondary is up to you; this kit is back sweetened enough to be consumed young -- so youre really just waiting for fermentation to totally end so you can degass, clarify, stabilize, and back-sweeten per the instructions.

the Short answer? If your SG is that low after 6 days then you can absolutely move from bucket to carboy -- just let it sit in the secondary an extra few days to make up the time. While these sweet kits are good green 30+ days after fermentation makes them super tasty.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
scurry64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I racked it the secondary today.
I am using a plastic fermenter because I don't have, or like glass carboys.
There is about 2 inches, or more, of headspace in the fermented bucket. I have a 1.5 L bottle of Merlot I can add if you think it's best.
I'll check the SG in 2-3 days. If it's the same, I'll move on two step 3.

Is it supposed to taste like wine at this point? I hope not.

Last edited by scurry64; 04-06-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: CSP

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry64 View Post
I racked it the secondary today.
I am using a plastic fermenter because I don't have, or like glass carboys.
There is about 2 inches, or more, of headspace in the fermented bucket. I have a 1.5 L bottle of Merlot I can add if you think it's best.
I'll check the SG in 2-3 days. If it's the same, I'll move on two step 3.

Is it supposed to taste like wine at this point? I hope not.
You don't want to top up yet, as the degassing comes before topping up.

Follow the instructions exactly. Those wine kits are really good, but they must be made according to the instructions for them to really work out that well.

You can use plastic, that's fine, but it should NOT be a bucket with wide headspace. It must be a carboy, 6 gallon size, and not a bucket at this point.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
bk0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you want to leave the wine on the yeast for the same reasons you want to leave beer on it? Ie, to clean up off flavors, etc? Or is it different for wine?

Are campden tablets really necessary? Something feels icky about putting chemicals into the must even before fermentation...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0 View Post
Do you want to leave the wine on the yeast for the same reasons you want to leave beer on it? Ie, to clean up off flavors, etc? Or is it different for wine?

Are campden tablets really necessary? Something feels icky about putting chemicals into the must even before fermentation...
No, you don't want to leave it on the lees. Remember that with beer, the "clean up" happens in less than 48 hours and those that choose to leave their beer longer may have yeasty character in their beers (which can be pleasing). But wine lees are not great flavored, and aging "sur lie" (on the lees) is only done in specific circumstances along with stirring.

You don't use campden until packaging with wine kits. But when you mix up must from unpasteurized fruit and things, it's a necessity to knock out wild yeast/bacteria from spoiling the wine before fermentation can begin.

Quick Reply