Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > The wine making process?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
DoctorCAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Just as Info :

A balanced Must makes a balanced (and better) wine and the ideal time to make an adjustment to the wine is during its brief infancy before it has actually become wine.

These are actually interconnected; let’s take a look at how, starting with a balanced Must makes a balanced (and better) wine. The act of fermentation is an act of creation and construction. During the complex transformation from juice to wine, wine will continually put itself together using whatever materials are available in the Must. To use a construction analogy, if the Must is in balance, it essentially has all of the required raw materials to build a complete, well-made structure that’s up to code. However, if the Must is not in balance, it means that we may not have all of the required materials to build the structure we might have hoped to end up with. Instead of a lovely house, maybe we end up with a storage shed! The bottom line is, if we don’t have all of the materials we need in the correct amount, then we are limited in what we can ultimately build.

We can address the second point above concerning the timing of the additions using the same construction analogy. Say in the course of building our new house we decide to change the plans and add a third bathroom and increase the size of the windows. If we had this figured out before we started building, then it’s no big deal to incorporate these big changes. However, if we decided to make these changes after all of the plumbing and sheet rock was finished (i.e., much later in the construction phase) this would be much more difficult to integrate into the final project.

It is the same exact thing with wine. The earlier we make changes, the easier it will be to integrate them into the wine. And, any adjustment made before the wine starts assembling itself will integrate more gracefully into the wine than the same adjustments made after fermentation.

Hector
Again, why make it hard? Wine makes itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Again, why make it hard? Wine makes itself.
Well, I agree with Hector in one point- wines that start with grapes, especially, need certain acid adjustments to be at the most desirable acid level, and should have the pH adjusted. Making a great vintage can take far more expertise than can be described in a "beginner's winemaking" post.

However!!!!! Starting with canned fruit can make a delightful wine, and so can kits, juice, etc. Making it more difficult is not the way to do it. Make the wine as is. Enjoy it! Next time, if you feel it needs more tannin, add some. The wine as written will be very good. It won't be a $50 of cabernet, but very few home winemakers aspire to that anyway.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I have more Experiences in Wine making than brewing .......and as I've always heard from Wine Experts , it's recommended to begin with fruit Juice .
Hector
I took out most of the text, but if you're so ultra- experienced, why are you quoting "wine experts"?

My expertise is actually in wine, rather than brewing- although by now I'm up over 300 batches of beer. I'm actually more of a winemaker than a brewer but stumbled into brewing later.

We can disagree- that's the point of a forum after all, different opinions! But to ascribe a certain level of expertise to yourself and then not provide any of your own experiences as examples makes me believe that much of your opinion is theory, not experience.

By the way- a "wine expert" would NEVER start with juice. Never. They would start with grapes. Or another fruit. NEVER juice. Call any famous winery and ask them how they start with juice. They would laugh and hang up on you.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I took out most of the text, but if you're so ultra- experienced, why are you quoting "wine experts"?
I never said that I am Ultra-Experienced !

I just said that I have more Experiences in Wine making than brewing .

That's all !

Hector

Quick Reply