Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine lover, allergic to sulfites, needs advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Oh, also, if she likes rieslings there are some mead/melomel(?) recipes out there that simulate the same sweet crispness she probably likes. Mead can be boiled, so +1 on whoever said that up above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
2ndGenBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One thing everyone forgot to mention here is that alcohol can be used as a perserative if you're willing to / want to age for a year or two. Just like with mead you can add extra sugar to wine and use a yeast like EC-1118. If proper nutrient additions are used you can get upwards of 18% ABV. At this level bugs aren't likely to survive and the alcohol will preserve the wine indefinatly. My $.02

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
halleyscomet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
I just found something that removes the sulphites from wines before drinking for people who are allergic.

http://so2go.com.au/
I checked out their web site, and they're sparse on details about what the product is, a MAJOR red flag for quackery. It claims to "remove" preservatives but there's no indication of what supposedly happens to them. There's a vague reference to using Oxygen, which suggests the product is just oxidizing components in the wine, something you can achieve without one of their spray bottles or sachets.

So2go looks like a load of marketing and a waste of money. My personal Baloney Detection kit is going off like klaxons on a battleship.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBrewer
One thing everyone forgot to mention here is that alcohol can be used as a perserative if you're willing to / want to age for a year or two. Just like with mead you can add extra sugar to wine and use a yeast like EC-1118. If proper nutrient additions are used you can get upwards of 18% ABV. At this level bugs aren't likely to survive and the alcohol will preserve the wine indefinatly. My $.02
One more thing on sulfites: they are naturally created. Even if we don't add sulfites, they are already in the wine. If the grapes/fruit is grown in soil containing sulfur, you'll have sulfites in your wine.

If you want to dissipate the sulfites prior to drinking wine, get one of those aerators that you pour into, it will allow the gas to escape.

Quick Reply