The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine "kit" instructions make no sense

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
JohanMk1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
The distillation forum police are coming got you now<gg> Mike
Distilation is a legal activity here on the southern tip of africa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Johan....well at least you now know how to handle the H2S issue if it should raise its smelly head again. The smell can also be caused if yeasts are stressed or short on nutrients--so you may want to consider incorporating yeast nutrient into your winemaking protocol.

For your plums... If you have access to Cotes de Blanc or Premier Cuvee you would probably like that, or D47 if you can keep it within its temperature range. If opting to use plums, please consider finding an acid test kit because they can be cause problems on that front, and I think wild plums may be higher than commercial cultivars (or I may have it reversed). Plus, you will have better outcome if you learn how to deal with acids up front. Now, if you have pH meter all you need are the liquid components of test kit to obtain a quick and precise reading.

(Distilling discussion is not allowed here, even if legal where you live--just part of the terms of agreement)

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

For your plums... If you have access to Cotes de Blanc or Premier Cuvee you would probably like that, or D47 if you can keep it within its temperature range. If opting to use plums, please consider finding an acid test kit because they can be cause problems on that front, and I think wild plums may be higher than commercial cultivars (or I may have it reversed). Plus, you will have better outcome if you learn how to deal with acids up front. Now, if you have pH meter all you need are the liquid components of test kit to obtain a quick and precise reading.
I did a batch of plum wine using Pasteur champagne yeast, turned out well! 6 lbs of plums and water to 1 gallon.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Struggling to find decent wine yeasts locally. Waiting to hear if my LHBS is able to source some.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanMk1
Struggling to find decent wine yeasts locally. Waiting to hear if my LHBS is able to source some.
Any wineries within driving distance? Many times they will provide yeast if you call them up and chat.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Any wineries within driving distance? Many times they will provide yeast if you call them up and chat.
Sadly none that I am awae of. I am seeing someone about yeast supply tomorrow though.

Quick Reply