Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine kit help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
awarner322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Wine kit help

Can anyone recommend a wine kit for me to make. Been doing beer for a while....first ever wine. Looking for a sweet wine (mostly for the wife). Tried looking around and it seems that Cellar Craft Showcase or En Primeur kits may be the best....but they seem to be more of the dry wines. Am I way off here? Or is there a nicer kit that produces a sweet wine?

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Truly, the only sweet wine kits available are the "mist" type kits (Orchard Breezin, Island Mist). They ferment a base grape juice to dry and get their sweetness and flavor by adding in a quart or so of a flavoring pack. The flavoring pack has sorbate to arrest any further fermentation. Tha alcohol is low and the flavor is strong so that the wine is easy to drink in 5 or 6 weeks. They are super-easy to make.

Other than those kits, you might find a few kits that claim to be semi-sweet, but thats stretching it for someone that only drinks sweet wines.

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I've had a sample of the Wine Expert Cabernet Franc Icewine and I thought it was really very good! You must keep in mind that it is a 3 gallon kit and you will pay around 100 bucks USD for it, but is an icewine.

One of the other companies sells an icewine as well and also there are some port kits out there which are normally rather sweet I believe. I don't know if the port kits come with spirits to fortify your wine with or if they call on you to purchase some Brandy or something to finish them off.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Quick Reply