Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine Kit Error (Forgot to add second bag of Keiselsol)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Koots
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine Kit Error (Forgot to add second bag of Keiselsol)

I am currently making the Orchard Breezin Kiwi Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc kit. I did the stabilizing and clearing step around day 14, as per the instructions, however I was a fool and forgot to add the second bag of Kieselsol (I added everything else without a problem and in the correct order. This Kieselsol was the last thing that was supposed to be added to the wine). It has since sat for 3 weeks (it was a terrible idea for me to start the wine when I did - several major assignments were due around the 28th day- when it is supposed to be bottled).

So, what should I do - do I add the second bag of Kieselsol or leave it. If I add it do I need to rack it again and let it sit for a week or two? Or have I screwed it all to hell?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Jericurl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is the Kieselsol just for clearing, or does it do something else?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Koots
Recipes 

My understanding is that it is just for clearing. The heading that this step was under was "stabilizing and clearing" the other ingredients I added in this stage were sulphite, potassium sorbate, the finishing blend, kieselsol package one, and chitosan (in this order). I missed the last kieselsol added after these ingredients.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koots View Post
I am currently making the Orchard Breezin Kiwi Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc kit. I did the stabilizing and clearing step around day 14, as per the instructions, however I was a fool and forgot to add the second bag of Kieselsol (I added everything else without a problem and in the correct order. This Kieselsol was the last thing that was supposed to be added to the wine). It has since sat for 3 weeks (it was a terrible idea for me to start the wine when I did - several major assignments were due around the 28th day- when it is supposed to be bottled).

So, what should I do - do I add the second bag of Kieselsol or leave it. If I add it do I need to rack it again and let it sit for a week or two? Or have I screwed it all to hell?
You are fine as long as you added the kiesesol and then chitosan. I've never seen a kit call for a second addition of kiesesol... was there really two packages in the kit... with instructions to add it at two different times?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Koots
Recipes 

Yes, there were definitely two packages. Not all the kits contain it, but this one did-and there were specific instructions included.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

If the wine is clear, you don't need to add it. If the wine is still hazy, it can be added.

I don't use any of the finings that come in wine kits, and the wine is still nice and clear! (I don't want non-vegetarian products in my wines).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply