wine as gifts too late to start??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tservice

Reaction score
Times are a little tough this year. I am thinking of making some wine to give out as gifts. This would be my second batch. Is it possible if I started in the next day or two, would it be ready to bottle and give out by Christmas?

Times are a little tough this year. I am thinking of making some wine to give out as gifts. This would be my second batch. Is it possible if I started in the next day or two, would it be ready to bottle and give out by Christmas?

What about Wurzels Orange Wine (WoW)? That doesn't take long, is cheap and simple. Give it a Google.

Not Christmas 2013, no. But if you start now, you should have them ready by Christmas 2014.

It depends on what you're making, but you'd need at least 90 days or so to even get a wine clear let alone ready for bottling. There are some fast wines that may be ready to bottle in 90 days- like the Welch's recipe I have posted (made with welch's juices). But not in 30 days, no way.

Late like next Christmas, lol. I wouldn't personally gift anything that hasn't already properly aged first. I haven't had many wines designed to be drunk young I would consider gifting wines. Well maybe to my neighbor that shows up every time I brew to mooch but hell drink flavored rubbing alcohol.

I agree with everyone's opinion above. But just thought I'd throw out there a recipe for a "30 Day Wine" that I found on the interwebs. I've never made it myself. May taste like swill. But you could give it a go. If it turns out bad at 30 days just stash it away and see how it tastes next Christmas.

Also, I wouldn't recommend some of the practices espoused in the directions below. Particularly the plastic wrap.

30-Day Wine

24 oz Welch's frozen concentrated grape juice, thawed
3 cups sugar
water to make up one gallon
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 sachet wine yeast

Mix all ingredients together well with water and fill the jug to about an inch below the shoulders. Cover with a clean rag secured with rubber band. Keep in a dark place about 70 degrees. About 2 weeks later replace rag with a good thick piece of plastic wrap. After 30 days from starting date, siphon wine off from sediment in bottom and drink.

Back