Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine funk smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
StoneArcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Default Wine funk smell

Well, over the summer one batch got a case of rotten smell. I'm thinking it fermented too warm in secondary. I was transferring and as son as I popped the airlock, I could smell it. After transferring, it was a horrible smell in the kitchen.

After a couple of days, smelling again, I added Campden and splash racked. Still there a few days later. So, splash racked gain and stirring with a copper tube. I whipped the monkey out of this thing. Less, but still there.

Can I stick a chunk of copper in the carboy? Sounds whack, right? At this point I'm going to have to dump it. I'm just wondering about any ill human effects of it sitting on copper.

Maybe whip it with the copper stink beater again? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would not let copper sit in with it. Try running past / over the copper again. Cant hurt!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Remove the copper,
I would check your SO2 levels and adjust them, after that, purchase REDULEES, it is inexpensive, add the appropriate amount (I would go with the max amount, I believe 4 or 5 grams per gallon of must) stir, put the airlock back on and in 5 days rack it into a clean carboy, this should remove the funky rotten egg (sulfur) smell. If the smell persists, you can try NOBLEESE.

If the wine smells like vinegar, it's time to throw in the towel on this batch and make vinegar.
Redulees should work, I saved a batch of wine with it.

You can fine both at http://morewinemaking.com/ or www.juicegrape.com, they should cost a few dollars.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
StoneArcher
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Thanks guys. I had the copper sit in for about five to ten minutes last night, then removed them.

I'm not super keen on dumping a bunch of chemicals in, but I'm to that point now I think. I really don't want to dump it. I'll check out the links, pumpkinman. Thanks! It's not turning to vinegar.

I'm going to whip the snot out of it again, then order chems if it's a no go.

Thanks for the quick response folks!

Quick Reply