Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine fermentation in one bucket??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
RedneckBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine fermentation in one bucket??

New to home brewing... So i been asking around to see how and if some of my co-worker/friends brew wine. One guy told me to get 5gallon bucket with lid to put:

1lb of fruit
3qts. of water
3lbs of sugar
1packet of yeast

Told me to Stir once to left and once to right, for 27days and then strain it and put in some mason jars.

Is this an OK way of doing wine?
I plan on getting some regular supplies shortly for fermenting,racking, and bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
RedneckBrew
Recipes 

Default New to wine-making.

New to home brewing... So i been asking around to see how and if some of my co-worker/friends brew wine. One guy told me to get 5gallon bucket with lid to put:

1lb of fruit
3qts. of water
3lbs of sugar
1packet of yeast

Told me to Stir once to left and once to right, for 27days and then strain it and put in some mason jars.

Is this an OK way of doing wine?
I plan on getting some regular supplies shortly for fermenting,racking, and bottling.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1840 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

That's a very small amount in a 5 gallon bucket. A 2 gallon size would be plenty for that. The whole thing looks a bit amateure hooch time to me. Mix it up at the beginning & add raisins,fruit whatever to the fruit juice being fermented. Seal it up & leave it alone. No stirring required. I made wine decades ago,& that's the short version.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
SteveHoward
Recipes 

I definitely wouldn't try to just do what your friend is saying. You may start in primary like he's saying, but there is just a little more to it. I don't think what is being described is going to turn out to your liking.

It's not difficult, though. I could of things I might recommend to get started are this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Waters-...6556867&sr=1-1

And this site:

The Winemaking Home Page (Look at the "Getting Started" page and some of the recipes to get an idea)

Another very simple wine to look at to give you an idea of how to get started is in Edwort's "Man I love Apfelwein" thread which is stickied to the top of this forum.

A wine recipe that is a little different than what I see here, but resulted in a very good blackberry dessert wine is here: How to Make Blackberry Wine...a Great Blackberry Wine Recipe

I think just perousing those pages will give you an idea of the steps and what you need to make something you will like. The "Strong Waters" book covers everything from wines and meads to beers in a basic way - nothing complicated or advanced.

I think those will probably give you better results than your friends advice, and will also give you the warnings on things that your friends advice may get you into trouble with (like what may happen if you put those in a mason jar and seal it tightly if fermentation hasn't completed for any reason, and how to check whether fermentation has completed.)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

id watch working it for 27 days then putting it in mason jars you may have a mess i would do what steve suggested a little of self education goes a long way ,but we all learn though trail and error

Quick Reply