Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > wine clearing question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default wine clearing question

I have 2 batches of crabapple wine going. made 2 days apart. One of them I cored all of the apples and ran em through a grinder....the other I just smashed em ( busted the apples but didn't crush seeds or anything) other than that they were made exactly alike. The one I smashed has cleared up nicely.. the one I cored and ground up looks like it has had milk poured into it. It has a milky looking haze in it. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it... I added gelatin finings today. these have been setting a while and both have fermented dry( .994-.996) and had sorbate and sulphite added.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

If you ran the apples through the grinder, the wine may never clear.

If you haven't use pectic enzyme, you could try that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest some finings. I'd probably hit it with Super Kleer KC. Especially if you've already used gelatin.

From Jack Keller's website:
It is assumed the wine will fall clear on its own within six months and perhaps another three rackings. Almost all wines will, but some may need help. Help means either cold settling or fining. It does not mean filtering, as only clear wines should be filtered. Filtering a cloudy or hazy wine will almost always clog the filters prematurely and could burn out a filter's pump.

Generally, fining agents work because they possess one charge (positive or negative) and the cloudiness is caused by something that possesses the opposite charge. Opposites attract, creating larger (and heavier) particulates, which fall into the lees. If you use the wrong fining agent, it will repel the particulate and serve no purpose. Indeed, it could exacerbate the problem.

The best -- meaning the most useful -- general fining agents are (in my opinion) Bentonite, Kieselsol, Chitosan, and Gelatin. The first two are negatively charged particles that are useful in removing proteins and some metallic compounds. The latter two are positively charged and useful in removing tannin, phenols, anthrocyanins, yeast cells, and bacteria -- all of which are negatively charged. Casein and Sparkolloid are also useful and fairly common finings. Both are positively charged agents. There are at least a couple of products out there that are two-part clarifiers. They contain both positive and negative charged finings, so if you really aren't sure what is causing the problem and you've tried pectic enzyme without success, these products will usually work. In fact, I've never had one not work for me. The one I've used most often is a product is called Super Kleer K-C, a liquid, whose fining agents are Kieselsol and Chitosan (the "K-C" in the name). One 150-ml dose will treat 6 gallons of wine. Ten days later you rack the wine and, if desired, filter it at that time.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

thanks yoop

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

well the gelatin did nothing to it. pectic enzyme is next, what do I do if I cant clear it? will it still be drinkable just ugly?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
well the gelatin did nothing to it. pectic enzyme is next, what do I do if I cant clear it? will it still be drinkable just ugly?
It's only been 3 or 4 days. I think you need to wait a little longer.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would guess it is pectic haze. If PE does not fix it you will have to drink it cloudy. Apples have a ton of pectin in them

Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

do I just pour the enzyme in or do I need to mix it up somehow?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
do I just pour the enzyme in or do I need to mix it up somehow?
If you've got the powder, pull out a sample of the wine and mix the enzyme will (it'll clump a bit at first). Then you can gently add it to the entire carboy. I'd probably give the carboy a swirl after I re-airlocked it, just to make sure it's sort of evenly dispersed.

Or if you have any lees in the carboy, I'd recommending mixing up the enzyme with some of the wine as above, and then racking the wine into it in a new carboy.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you've got the powder, pull out a sample of the wine and mix the enzyme will (it'll clump a bit at first). Then you can gently add it to the entire carboy. I'd probably give the carboy a swirl after I re-airlocked it, just to make sure it's sort of evenly dispersed.

Or if you have any lees in the carboy, I'd recommending mixing up the enzyme with some of the wine as above, and then racking the wine into it in a new carboy.
thanks
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
trubled
Recipes 

rack it. This will often create a fallout.

relax with the sorbate and KMS.
if clarity does not improve go with bentonite for protein stability.

Quick Reply