Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wine bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Bugsyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine bottles

Hi Newbie about to embark on my first batch, a 5 day pinot grigio kit from Cantina
I have lots of sscrwcap wine bottles. I have rinsed them. How clean do they need to be? Should I use the dishwasher? Is it okay to reuse screwcap bottles or should use corks?

Thanks

Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
BrewForMe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Your bottles should be super clean to prevent any off flavors or contamination. I always wash my bottles by hand and run them through the sanitize setting on my dishwasher. After this i give a quick soak in star-san before I bottle. After all the work and time involved with brewing, i would hate to lose a batch due to bottle problems. Maybe i get carried away, but to me its worth the effort.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsyboy
Hi Newbie about to embark on my first batch, a 5 day pinot grigio kit from Cantina
I have lots of sscrwcap wine bottles. I have rinsed them. How clean do they need to be? Should I use the dishwasher? Is it okay to reuse screwcap bottles or should use corks?

Thanks

Paul
I dunno about wine but in beer you don't want to use dish soap. Oxyclean to clean the bottles, rinse, starsan.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Bugsyboy
Recipes 

Default Screwcaps

Thanks for the replies. Anyone reuse screwcap bottles?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
ScooterBrewer
Recipes 

First, let me say that I am newer than you. But, the man that runs the local brew shop told me it is dangerous to bottle beer in wine bottles because they are not strong enough. Maybe you should check if someone before you bottle.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterBrewer View Post
First, let me say that I am newer than you. But, the man that runs the local brew shop told me it is dangerous to bottle beer in wine bottles because they are not strong enough. Maybe you should check if someone before you bottle.
That's a wine kit, so the bottles should be fine. A screw top may not seal well, though. If you're aging the wine at all, I"d suggest corks. Sometimes you can rent or borrow a good corker from a homebrew store, which makes life a lot easier!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterBrewer
He mentioned it was a pinot grigio kit.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
RedOctober
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

starsan.jpg

Quick Reply