Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > wine bottle sediment/storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wine bottle sediment/storage

how long should/can i keep newly bottled wine upright?

i bottled a couple fruit wines and meads that looked clear. i gave them a day or two upright to work out the trapped oxygen past the cork. they have been on the sides for a couple months now, and there is a line of sediment running up the side of the bottle now.

can you leave the bottles upright for 3 or 4 months after you bottle to make a compact sediment disk on bottle before laying the bottles down?

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
MyZooTwo
Recipes 

Default Did you degass, how long did you leave in secondary....

Hello,
How long did you leave this wine in the secondary how many rackings did you do? Did you degass this wine, there are a lot of factors to answer your question.....
Take care...
Cathy

"Dare to be different! If everyone was the same, the world would be a very boring place"

Old 10-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Well, even if you keep the bottles upright for a while, the sediment will move when you lay them down. It's not going to stick where it first settled- it'll move to a gravity dependent area.

As was alluded to, you probably bottled a bit early, and the wine is still throwing lees. It's not harmful. What I would do is set the bottle upright the day before serving, so at least most of the sediment is on the bottom, and then decant the wine before serving so that the sediment stays mostly in the bottle.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, even if you keep the bottles upright for a while, the sediment will move when you lay them down. It's not going to stick where it first settled- it'll move to a gravity dependent area.

As was alluded to, you probably bottled a bit early, and the wine is still throwing lees. It's not harmful. What I would do is set the bottle upright the day before serving, so at least most of the sediment is on the bottom, and then decant the wine before serving so that the sediment stays mostly in the bottle.
good advice. thanks yoop

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Quick Reply