Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Wicked Tea (beta) (Twisted Tea clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #21
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It's going pretty well. The krausen is all but gone, but there is still airlock activity, about 1 bubble every 10 seconds. Still a faint sweet tea aroma coming off the airlock also. The color is a little lighter now also, kind of a light pumpkin color to it.

I think I've still got about a week & a half before I'll rack, started on 8-23, 4 weeks is 9-20, then I'll take a gravity reading and rack on top of some lemon juice.

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #22
dutchboy62
Recipes 

any update adolphus mine is looking good and is clearing nicely theres very little airlock activity soi might rack this weekend

Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #23
Adolphus79
EAC in training
Recipes 

Nothing yet... airlock activity has slowed, about a bubble every 30 seconds, no noticable clearing yet, but still a week til my 4 weeks is up. Aroma is still sweet tea, but very slight now... I'll see what the next week brings as far as clearing goes, but I think I'll still rack it over onto half a lemon's juice.

It sounds like Cooper's is the way to go, so long as it tastes right, have you tasted it yet?

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
dutchboy62
Recipes 

no not yet waiting till i rack and take a gravity reading

Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #25
dutchboy62
Recipes 

just racked the gravity is down to 1.00 and is clearing nicely and the taste is umm.. not good it is very weak tasting with hardly any taste at all i mean like nothing im gonna let itfinish and back sweeten and ageand pray it tastes like something. Do you think i could just make some more tea and add it if not bring on amy mew ideas for batch 2

Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #26
Adolphus79
EAC in training
Recipes 

Hmm... I dunno, that's why I purposely over-steeped mine a little. I'll have to let mine finish (end of this week hopefully) before I could even try to fix it any. I was also thinking the other day that for a sweet tea, we should be using cane sugar instead of corn sugar. I'll let you know when I rack if my flavor is missing also... oh well, that's why it's a test batch...

Cheers,
Mike

Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #27
Adolphus79
EAC in training
Recipes 

Default Update...

Well, I racked it this evening, and tasted it...

I am quite disappointed. The ABV came out about 5.5%, and it had almost no aroma at all. We tasted it, and it had almost no flavor. First taste was quite tart, but no flavor followed. A very, VERY, bland tea taste, with a hint of plastic. Adding lemon juice didn't help any, except to add some lemon to the plastic bouquet.

Since airlock activity was down to 1 bubble every minute and a half, I'm not gonna let it ferment any further. I bottled, and put it into the fridge to see if chilling and/or aging will help any.

I need to figure out how to get more of the tea flavor to make it through fermentation. Maybe a different yeast, or a stronger tea base. Also need to get the ABV up a little higher. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'll be trying beta 0.2 here in the next couple months.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #28
dutchboy62
Recipes 

soundslike the same thing i got. Im gonna try again soon. I think im gonna try another expirement. I think im gonna do 2 batches one with a triple amount of tea and the other adding more tea in the secondary.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #29
Adolphus79
EAC in training
Recipes 

I thought about it over a bottle of Apfelwein last night and came to almost the same conclusion. Double the sugar, then cut it with a second gallon of tea after fermentation. I'll probably try it again in a month or two, as I have some other experiments I want to get out of the way first though. Too many experiments, not enough gallon jugs & airlocks...

Thanks for the help and input dutchboy, let me know if you start another batch before I do...

Cheers,
Mike

Old 09-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #30
dutchboy62
Recipes 

No problem this is something i have been interested in for a while thats y i started the thread a few months back Luckily i found 38 one gal jugs on craigslist for $5 so i have plenty of room to expirement as soon as i geet to the lhbs ill start again im starting my first batch of apfelwien this weekend i would be interested to here about any future expirements thanks for the help

Quick Reply