Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > White wine storage temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Jon73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default White wine storage temp.

My wife is going to bottle her first batch of wine in a few weeks, it is a piesporter (sp?). The kit instructions say to store it for 3 months at temperatures under 60 once bottled. What are the effects if it is stored at roughly 66 degrees? (Light and humidity are not an issue)
I may be able to build a cool storage box using an old mini fridge, but it may not be done till after bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4659 Times on 3384 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
My wife is going to bottle her first batch of wine in a few weeks, it is a piesporter (sp?). The kit instructions say to store it for 3 months at temperatures under 60 once bottled. What are the effects if it is stored at roughly 66 degrees? (Light and humidity are not an issue)
I may be able to build a cool storage box using an old mini fridge, but it may not be done till after bottling.
It'll be ok, but it'll age faster at 66 than at 56. A steady temperature, even a bit warmer, is better than temperature fluctuations so a steady 66 will be ok for at least a year or two.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
FeelinKindaGiddy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Jon, I have just racked and added clarifiers to my Piesporter (Vino del Vida) and was amazed at the taste after only 14 days in the primary. The next morning it was crystal clear! I have made many Meads, Ciders and homemade fruit and muscadine wines but this is my first "kit" wine. So far I am very happy! I think I am going to rack again in 2-3 weeks and let it bulk age for a couple of months before bottling. By the way, my name is Jon also! What brand kit are you and your Wife using?

Quick Reply